Soft Edge Blending / Input Question
    gmint
    ultim8 member

Soft Edge Blending / Input Question

by gmint » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:40 pm

I feel kind of silly asking this question since I've been using Modul8 for many, many years and MadMapper for quite a few as well, but here it goes...

My setup is generally this: Modul8 (Syphon) --> MadMapper --> 2x Projectors --> 1 large video screen

In that setup, I'm using MadMapper to do soft edge blending. This works great, however, here's where my issue is...

As MadMapper has become more capable, I've found myself wanting to do some of the things that I used to do in Modul8 in MadMapper instead. Primarily this is because of speed, but there are also a few things that I'd rather do in MM for various reasons. The problem that I have is that I can't seem to find a convenient way to effectively use soft edge blending in MadMapper when the size of my input media changes.

For example, let's say that my Modul8 input is setup to deliver an input which has an 8/3 aspect ratio (the size of my screen). I setup my soft edge blend for that size, but then when I want to use a 16/9 source in MadMapper, I have to go through and setup the soft edge blending again. And if I want to use layers in MadMapper... well that's a complete no-go.

Maybe the answer to this is that it's just not really workable in MadMapper. If that's not the case, I'd certainly appreciate any insight into this!
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Soft Edge Blending / Input Question

by mad-matt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 am

The soft-edge will still work whatever the aspect ratio of your media is. The problem is not soft-edge related (except if there's something I have not understood). I suppose you have two quad surfaces in MadMapper and you just change media on those, correct ?

By default MadMapper tries to keep the aspect ratio of your media correct on the output surface, so if you're changing media aspect ratio on surface, it will adjust the input region to preserve aspect ratio. If you don't want this behavior, you can force all media to a defined aspect ratio: in Master settings tab (last tab on the left panel), check the "Force media ratio to" option and set 16 / 9. Then whatever your media is MadMapper will consider its resolution as being 16:9.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 am

The soft-edge will still work whatever the aspect ratio of your media is. The problem is not soft-edge related (except if there's something I have not understood). I suppose you have two quad surfaces in MadMapper and you just change media on those, correct ?
    This is correct.
    By default MadMapper tries to keep the aspect ratio of your media correct on the output surface, so if you're changing media aspect ratio on surface, it will adjust the input region to preserve aspect ratio. If you don't want this behavior, you can force all media to a defined aspect ratio: in Master settings tab (last tab on the left panel), check the "Force media ratio to" option and set 16 / 9. Then whatever your media is MadMapper will consider its resolution as being 16:9.
    I will have to give this a shot. The problem is when I switch between media of different aspect ratios for sure. As I said, I have an 8/3 screen which I usually feed with a Modul8 output but sometimes I want to switch to a different 16/9 source.

That said, I would actually really love it if I could use soft edge blending AND combine content in MadMapper and Modul8. A simple example would be to do visuals in Modul8 (which are soft edge blended using MadMapper) and being able to overlay a logos with MadMapper...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:03 pm

You can do it with a Syphon loopback. Just create a projector with "publish to syphon" activated, on this one put a quad with Modul8 output and a quad with you logo. Then on the real projector, make the quad with mesh warping with the syphon input from the other projector. It's a bit tricky however. Putting your logo in M8 would be easier.
    Cheers