MiniMAD synchronization
  • Chicorea

MiniMAD synchronization

by Chicorea » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Hello there,

I need some advices about MiniMAD.

I am working on a 50ft x 15ft projection who will be displayed with 3 videoprojectors.
    Projection is a panoramic view scrolling from left to right in loop.
    The junctions between the tree projection must be perfetly synchronized in order spectators have the illusion of one unique panoramic picture is scrolling.

I am looking for the most effective solution and i have planned to use tree miniMAD box.

I do not have experience with miniMAD for the moment.
    Someone can confirm me using miniMAD is the best way to achieve this project?
    I also want to ensure it is possible to synchronize tree miniMAD together in order to have this continuity between the 3 projections?

Thank in advance and have a good day,
  • mareckidoch

Re: MiniMAD synchronization

by mareckidoch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Let's try it :)
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 pm

MiniMAD doesn't do "soft-edge" (or "edge blending") but it can play many video outputs in sync (we're setting up an install with 30 minimads right now).
    If you need soft-edge, you'd better use a computer with MadMapper and 3 video outputs (a graphic card with at least 3 outputs or plugging a Matrox TripleHead2Go or other video splitter on one video output)
  • Chicorea

by Chicorea » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Thank you for your reply.

If i understand well, MiniMAD had no hardware capacity to manage the edge blending.
    So, i think to follow your valuable advice and use a computer (solid computer because the mapping projection must be visible four mouths) with a graphic card.

Finally, we need an external graphic card with 4 HDMI outputs. Do you know a good product who can do this job?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:50 am

Are you used to mac or PC ?

On a MacPro we can do 6x FullHD output (with 6 active Mini DP to HDMI adapters). With my MacBook Pro, I can connect 2 screen on the MiniDP + one on the HDMI outputs, so I can have 3 outputs with using any splitter.
    On a PC with a single nVidia GPU (nVidia 1060 or higher) you have 4 outputs, so you can have 1 for MadMapper UI and 3 outputs for projectors. You can even put multiple graphics card to have more outputs. A guy did 10 outputs with 3 nVidia 1060 in the same machine...

You always have to be careful about performances. The ideal is that MadMapper is always able to do 60 FPS, so if you use 30 or 60FPS movies it looks very smooth. If using MadMapper materials they will run at 60 FPS in this case. But with a recent GPU, performances is generally not a problem on 3 full HD (with MadMapper ;-) )
  • Beau4444

by Beau4444 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Mad-Matt, you mentioned that you have synced 30 minimads....I am doing a massive installation which I will potentially have 42 minimad, with 36 of them needing to be synced. What device are you using to synchronize 30 minimads at once? Can it handle 36? I also need one of these to be outputting DMX, but I’ve read that minimads playing DMX signals cannot currently be synced with ones playing video signals?
    -Beau Keller
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:31 pm

> What device are you using to synchronize 30 minimads at once?

What do you mean ? We connect all MiniMads on the network and that's it... We have a network switch with 24 connections (D-Link 100Mbps, anyway MiniMads are not gigabit) & another one with 8. It's working perfectly with latest MiniMad version (export from MadMapper 3.2.3)

> Can it handle 36?

Sure. The algorithm is very solid. I think we tested up to 40.

> I also need one of these to be outputting DMX, but I’ve read that minimads playing DMX signals cannot currently be synced with ones playing video signals?

That is correct. We have to handle that... I cannot promise any deadline though. But that shouldn't be a big task. It's not in the top priority at the moment though. If many people ask, it could be hehe
  • j2bears

by j2bears » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:06 am

Hello. I'm new to MiniMad, but familiar with MadMapper.
    Wondering if Madmapper (running on a computer) can act as a master, with the MiniMad's synchronizing to playback on the computer?
    I am wanting the computer to output the (multichannel) sound, and have the other projectors (24) run on the MiniMads. Possible?

thank you for your time...
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 am

+1 to the miniMad Video and miniMad Light synchronization idea.

I'm hoping to one day prepare a DMX show with synced audio w/ miniMAD -- but that would require either miniMAD Light to support audio file playback, or minimad Video & Light to synchronize (and the Light one could handle the audio as a black video file). Either one of those solutions would be amazing and even better if we got both :)

Thanks!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 pm

+1 for MadMapper / miniMAD Video / miniMAD Light synchro :-)
  • giorgio

by giorgio » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:55 am

+1 for syncing minimad video and minimad light

pleeeeeeeeeease :)