Automating projector power on/off?
  • BrooksT

Automating projector power on/off?

by BrooksT » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:40 pm

What are people doing to control projectors' power states? I'm building a setup that uses a mixture of DMX lighting and projectors, and most of the time I only want the lighting going. For some scenes, I want to power up one or two projectors, and when the scenes are done, want to power them back down (we're talking hours for each scene, not rapid on/off craziness).

The projectors can take commands over TCP/IP, or I suppose I could wire an IR blaster.

Anyone doing something like this?
  • fastfourier

Re: Automating projector power on/off?

by fastfourier » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:00 pm

You'll probably end up doing some scripting! If you can get the projectors on a wi-fi or wired network, you can do some pretty simple control by firing text commands at the projectors, for example

Code: Select all

echo "PWR OFF" | nc 192.168.xxx.xxx 3629
    in the case of an Epson. I think. If you save that in a file (eg. "pwroff.sh") and make it executable, you can just call it from whatever software you're using, or use Automator and the OS X calendar to make a schedule.

If you can't execute files from your software, you could use MidiPipe, execute an AppleScript on a MIDI message, then have that Applescript call the shell script.

Anything further than that I'd probably go with a Processing or node.js.

If you can't get network access, there are node.js libraries for the broadlink Mini IR blaster, or you can roll your own with an Arduino.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:55 am

You can always give a try to our app: https://www.sigmasix.ch/projectormanager/

The tricky part with PJLink is the authorisation. If you have a password protected projector, it's much more difficult to script…

ProjectorManager also have applescript control so you can program it the same way fastfourier explained
  • massta

by massta » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:35 am

I'm looking for the same answer but using Windows. Need an easy way (can be expensive) to schedule projectors (about 10). Maybe easy enough for the video artists to use. Thank you!