Drawing complex shapes...
  • dingehead

Drawing complex shapes...

by dingehead » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Greetings all.

Been getting started with Madmapper for a couple weeks and have hit a wall when it comes to more complex shapes.

Im currently trying to map a clock, but drawing the numbers seems nearly impossible. From what I understand I need to use a quad, and mesh warp it to the shape of the numbers. So far I haven't had any luck making this work.

Are there any recommended best practices or workflows for tracing numbers or more complex 2d shapes?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Drawing complex shapes...

by mad-matt » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 am

You shouldn't draw the numbers. If the clock is flat, it will fit in a quad where you just set the perspective with the four points. Masking the parts you don't want to map can be done with a picture of the real clock taken from front, that you could convert to a black and white image in Photoshop or other image editing software, then importing this image in MadMapper and use it in a quad at the exact same position with Blending Mode "Multiply". That's the easiest way I think. Drawing the contours of all the elements you want to draw to or mask is too long.