Masking the sides of a projector
  • Robbie the Robot

Masking the sides of a projector

by Robbie the Robot » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:41 am

I trying to figure out a way to blend the overlapping edges of two projectors to hide the seam. In the Projector settings in MadMapper there is an option to load a mask. I thought this would be the solution so I made masks in Photoshop, one for each projector. But when I load the masks into MadMapper the masks appear in their original form -- a white image with a soft black edge -- covering all images that are being projected. How do I get these masks to act as a mask?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Masking the sides of a projector

by mad-matt » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:01 pm

To do soft-edge follow these tutorials, this option is on the Quad surfaces:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwct3cdL6Cw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR1fVI4wM2k
  • Robbie the Robot

by Robbie the Robot » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:42 am

Thanks for your help, Matt. The solution you're suggesting is basically what I was doing as a workaround. but it becomes very cumbersome when there are many Quads that are positioned where the projectors overlap. Using the method shown in the tutorials, you would have to repeat the process for every image that needs to be placed in the middle of the screen, correct? Is there not a master soft edge for the projectors?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:02 am

A master soft-edge would only work if your projectors are right in front of the projection surfaces and donnot need perspective correction. The solution we provide is more flexible.
    To handle your whole projection area as a single quad, you should create a Syphon/Spout loopback:
    - create another projector (not attached to any screen)
    - set its size to the full surface resolution your want
    - activate the option "publish to syphon/spout"
    - the projector content will be available as an input in Syphon/spout category, assign this media to all soft-edge surfaces displayed on the real output projectors
  • Robbie the Robot

by Robbie the Robot » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:03 am

Thank you for the suggestion, Matt. I'm having a hard time trying to visualize what you are describing. By making a Syphon/Spout Loopback, I no longer have to duplicate each image I want to place at the projectors' seam? Does this also mean I won't have to feather the edges of each image and manually line up each of the halves? I don't have the projectors with me at the moment so I can't try it out.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:21 am

Exactly ! Just try the previous suggestion you'll understand by doing it.
  • Robbie the Robot

by Robbie the Robot » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:25 am

I was finally able to test this my with projector set up. It took a while to figure out but now I understand it and it works perfectly. Thank you for your insight!
  • elipsys

by elipsys » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:47 am

How do you do when there are 3 projectors.