Basic setup for multi-projector blending (Image)
  • LukeSkywalker

Basic setup for multi-projector blending (Image)

by LukeSkywalker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:35 am

Hello!

I'm new to madMapper (actually yet to even download the demo), but I want to make sure it is the right software for our purposes.

We'd like to use this software to blend 6+ projectors into a 3 wall display like in the image below.

https://7thsensedesign.com/wp-content/u ... cific2.jpg

We'll need complete Audio + Video synchronization as well as additional DMX controls (so we can control not only the projector video and associated audio, but some other LED lights and DMX controlled devices - all from one central piece of software).

So my questions are:
    (1) Is this possible in madMapper?
    (2) Generally speaking, what hardware would be needed other than the projectors and a beefy PC to run everything? Will I need a camera to callibrate the image blending? Will I need a media server (like a VIOSO or other)? Would you recommend a multi-PC setup for any reason (perhaps 1 PC that acts as the server and another to run the software on..)?
    (3) Is there anything you can think of that you feel I may not be thinking about? Aka, is there anything I need to keep in mind to make sure this is a success?

Thank you!!
    Luke Skywalker
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Basic setup for multi-projector blending (Image)

by mad-matt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:24 pm

(1) Is this possible in madMapper?
    Yes !
    (2) Generally speaking, what hardware would be needed other than the projectors and a beefy PC to run everything? Will I need a camera to callibrate the image blending? Will I need a media server (like a VIOSO or other)? Would you recommend a multi-PC setup for any reason (perhaps 1 PC that acts as the server and another to run the software on..)?
    With edge blending, don't use multi computers. On a MacPro you can get 6 full HD outputs running fine. On a PC, with two GPUs, you'll get 8 outputs (I personally favor nVidia 1080). You can use Datapath X4 to get 4 outputs out of a single one (so using one GPU and one X4 you get 3 + 1x4 = 7 outputs)
    (3) Is there anything you can think of that you feel I may not be thinking about? Aka, is there anything I need to keep in mind to make sure this is a success?
    Plan some time to setup the edge blending ! Use codec Hap or HapQ for you movies.