hardware / software basics
  • stowedout

hardware / software basics

by stowedout » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:35 am

Hi Mad Mappers,
    I'm a LD wanting to take my first steps with video mapping during bands live performances, The MadMapper video tutorials are fantastic but I would like some advice on basic hardware and software requirements to get me going, My aim initially would be to use a single projector and display a mix of live video and pre recorded video and/or still images. I will probably go down the windows route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Chris
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: hardware / software basics

by mad-matt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Advice about hardware ? Artistic ? hehe
    About a windows computer, for a single HD projector, you don't need expansive computer, just opt for a good GPU (nVidia 1060 or AMD equivalent, check benchmarks), 16 GB RAM, CPU Intel i7 or better. Check that the computer fanning is good, for performances in hot environment, high temperature can be a problem. If you don't need a laptop Zotacs are great, for instance you can handle 4 outputs with this one (or 3 projectors + 1 screen for MadMapper UI): https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_p ... us-en1070k
  • 78vinyls

by 78vinyls » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:08 pm

I use the laptop you describe and can handle 2 HD projectors without problems. But what about input? Is there any piece of hardware with video inputs compatible with mad mapper? Would they be seen in the "Live input'' window? I would like to connect a video camera for live feed. If there was a device that had hdmi inputs that mad mapper could ''see'' I could connect a laptop and use it for powerpoint files at conferences. Apart from the laptop camera, what else can be seen in the ''Live input'' window?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 pm

For video inputs, anything compatible with AVFoundation on macOS (appearing in QuickTime) or with DirectShow on Windows should work.
    We also support BlackMagic natively, for HDMI input we use it:
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity
    or
    https://www.ldlc.com/fr-be/fiche/PB00166107.html
  • mirer.promap

by mirer.promap » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:36 am

For video inputs, anything compatible with AVFoundation on macOS (appearing in QuickTime) or with DirectShow on Windows should work.
    Just need to connect the non-dslr camera to the Windows PC via USB and madmapper will recognise it in the spatial scanner menu?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:18 am

Just need to connect the non-dslr camera to the Windows PC via USB and madmapper will recognise it in the spatial scanner menu?
    Yes!
  • mirer.promap

by mirer.promap » Sat May 11, 2019 4:04 am

Yes!
    I wasn't able to get the camera to act as a video feed; it just goes into 'Transfer Photo' mode, and even the lens cover doesn't open up. Model is a standard Canon IXUS 125HS.

I contacted Canon Support but it probably lacks the function to do so?

How about Android phone camera? Is there a way to use that instead?
  • mirer.promap

by mirer.promap » Fri May 24, 2019 11:28 am

For those who may need this, I've discovered:

1. Canon basic digital camera does not work because the AV out port is for playback only, not for live feed. This is the ticket response from the official Canon support.
    2. Android camera works
    - Connect via an app called Droidcam, over WIFI
    - Resolution is quite bad. The test scan was captured at full lighting at about 0.5m away, so it may improve with dimmed lighting?