How to layer masked surfaces?
  • TinyMapper

How to layer masked surfaces?

by TinyMapper » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:42 am

Hey MM community,

I am trying to project to a screen with a non-standard (i.e. not round, spherical or triangular) section in the middle but I am having a really hard time figuring out the right way to layer them.

With standard surfaces I can just layer three on top and they will show up independent of each other like this:

However, if I try apply a Mask in order to trim Quad 2 (red) to the section at hand I get:

Where I would like to see just Quad 2 trimmed to size:

I've messed around trying to use the multiply command as well but that runs into the same issue. Anything below the layer I am trying to cut falls into the same filter. Is there a way to apply a mask to only one specific layer? What is the standard workflow for creating surfaces of a custom shape?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    TinyMapper
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: How to layer masked surfaces?

by franz » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:29 am

you can apply a mask INDIDE a quad.
    Create a quad surface, scroll down in the inspector panel, the'res a mask option.
  • TinyMapper

Re: How to layer masked surfaces?

by TinyMapper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:47 pm

Hey franz!

Thank you so much! I was aware that masks within surfaces existed but my screen consists of a lot of circles so it didn't occur to me to try using quads. And it turns out that circles don't support layer specific masking.

I have created a quad instead and am now happily projecting. Thanks again. : )