Material Resolution
  • bLackburst

Material Resolution

by bLackburst » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:22 am

Hi
    Generators have input for resolution parameters, but materials do not. What is the recommended workflow here? I have these considerations:
    -resolution deosn't seem to be driven by the quad's output size because it gets softer as the quad gets bigger.
    -Quad sampling the right aspect on a square material would be rendering material that is not used outside of the quad , seems unnecessary.
    -Setting "Force media ration to" to get the right shape material is universal, rather than per material.
    -While the in-joke isn't lost on me, why is 1024 the unchangeable default for materials?

Thanks
    Jim
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Material Resolution

by franz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:26 pm

materials are rendered directly at the screen/projector resolution,
    as to provide resolution-independant quality.

the cost of a material is per pixel, so the more pixels you shade, the slower it gets.
    what is not seen is not rendered.
  • bLackburst

by bLackburst » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:18 am

Thanks Franz
    materials are rendered directly at the screen/projector resolution,
    as to provide resolution-independant quality.
    This sounds like how I was hoping it would work, but what confuses me is that if I scale up an output quad in an extreme way, it gets softer. Does the whole material render at proj resolution or the input shape sampled? ie. if a quad is only sampling a quarter of the material does it mean that quad's resolution is a quarter of the proj resolution?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:17 pm

The material is not "rendered". The quad is rendered on the output with the material shader. So the graphics card will compute the material for each projector pixel where the quad is displayed.