Expanding source range beyond limits
  • jhamonemillion

Expanding source range beyond limits

by jhamonemillion » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:04 am

Hi,

I'm trying to expand my OSC mapping beyond what appear like arbitrary limits set by MadMapper. I am mapping the y axis input to an OSC address, and in the control list editor I am only able to map the source range to a low output of -2.327, yet I am able to map the high output to +3.48. How do I extend the low output? MadMapper won't allow me to enter a value <-2.327 (eg. -3.48, which would make it symmetrical and allow me to do what I want). How do I do this? I can move the y value input on my keyboard or mouse to these values, just not via OSC.

Thanks!
  • jAnywhere

Re: Expanding source range beyond limits

by jAnywhere » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:18 pm

I would also like to comment on this problem (MadMapper 3.7.8). It is not possible to set an arbitrary OSC source range as the OP reported. I use a workaround by sending single OSC messages from a Python console with my desired source maximum and minimum values. After that I am able to set the source range manually in MadMapper. However these limits are not always reliably saved in the project so I have to repeat this procedure after each loading of the project. Is there a reason for this behaviour and/or is there any documentation on that?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi,

I understand perfectly your issue. That's due to the limitations of OSC. We don't know if you will send values from 0.0 to 1.0 from a slider (ie with TouchOSC) or values from 0 to 360 (example controlling a rotation) from another Osc controller.
    MadMapper behaves like if the source range is 0.0 - 1.0. If you go beyond that, MM will expand the range. But when reloading the project it will be resetted to 0.0 - 1.0 again. Anyway, storing-restoring that wouldn't solve.

1- Those problems are solved by controlling the parameter directly using a "predefined OSC address" (without creating a control). In this case you can directly send the value in the target range. Also all those predefined addresses are available through OSC Query (type http://localhost:8000/ in your browser, you'll have all the addresses and values in a JSon format - if 8000 is your OSC input port in MM)
    The list of addresses is also available from MadMapper menu Help.

2- The other solution is to make a OSC address that specifies a range. That's a custom made extension we used to solve that issue. For instance this address will be interpreted as being in range 0-1000:
    /address?min=0&max=1000

Let me know if it solves your problem.
    Cheers
    Matt - MM team
  • jAnywhere

by jAnywhere » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:30 am

Hi Matt,

thank you a lot for the quick and elaborated answer!

Both solutions work for me and they are indeed quite elegant ways to solve this issue. I was also not aware about the OSC query which is a nice way to gather all available OSC addresses in scripting environments.

Again, thank you for the great support!
    Best, Jakob