Multiple projections with multiple PC's
  • giacomo.furlan

Multiple projections with multiple PC's

by giacomo.furlan » Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a student and I'm working on projecting some videos of thextures on a 3D printed statue using multiple projectors (3 or 4) driven by multiple PC's (2 or 3). Since I need to project the same video from the projectors around the statue in sync to cover all of it with the texture, what could I use to sync madmapper on the different PC's?
    I was thinking on the Ableton Link functionality in madmapper to sync the PC's but I don't know how to start the videos at the same time in the beginning to then keep them synchronized.

Thanks in advice,
    Giacomo
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

Re: Multiple projections with multiple PC's

by Teunkneus » Mon May 06, 2019 11:46 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a student and I'm working on projecting some videos of thextures on a 3D printed statue using multiple projectors (3 or 4) driven by multiple PC's (2 or 3). Since I need to project the same video from the projectors around the statue in sync to cover all of it with the texture, what could I use to sync madmapper on the different PC's?
    I was thinking on the Ableton Link functionality in madmapper to sync the PC's but I don't know how to start the videos at the same time in the beginning to then keep them synchronized.

Thanks in advice,
    Giacomo
    The best option would be a pc or mac with 4 outputs, but I guess you figured that out and is not an option.
    Other solution would be an matrox.
    Other solution would be OSC router and trigger everything with OSC commands.

I did a similair task with 2 projectors, since it was only looked at from the front and sides, but it was quite thin and rather high so with 2 projectors I could do 3 sides.
  • giacomo.furlan

Re: Multiple projections with multiple PC's

by giacomo.furlan » Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks for your answer!
    Yes, I didn't want to use Mac's or splitters (as the matrox) due to their cost and performance. The best option to me was to sync different PC's using OSC, but I've never done something like this so I was wondering if you could help me to understand how to use it.
    I was thinking about using the TouchOSC app on an Iphone with a single button interface and then to "link" this button to both madmappers on the two pc's so that when i tap the button videos start at the same time. Could it work out for my purpose?