Per-projector and per-fixture delays
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Per-projector and per-fixture delays

by jasonbeyers » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:42 am

Are there any ways to compensate for projector input lag in Madmapper, on a per-projector basis? Or for DMX/Artnet fixtures? I wasn't able to find any third party syphon-delay application out there, to do this externally.

When I'm driving MM from Ableton Live -- for bpm as well as triggering cues -- I can delay the audio in Ableton to compensate in general, but this doesn't work if I'm driving a high-delay projector alongside low-delay ones. I've recently run into issues using different types of projectors simultaneously, where the input lag for one is 16ms while the other is 80ms. And have definitely had problems when I throw LEDs into the mix, as they are typically quite fast to respond.

It would be great if Madmapper allowed for configurable delays for individual projectors as well as fixtures, though I understand this would likely require allocating some memory to achieve this. This would allow users to delay the faster projectors and deal with global delay externally (say, with Ableton Live). If we can't get DMX fixture delays in MM, then per-projector ones would suffice, as you could use a projector-like output to drive the LEDs w/ internal syphon routing.

Other software like Resolume support per-projector delays already. I think it would be a great addition to MM.
    Last edited by jasonbeyers on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Per-projector delays

by franz » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:15 am

Right now we don't have pre-projector delays.
    That's an interesting idea we'll have to discuss with the team.

As a sidenote, a pro-tip is to use only the same model/brand of projector for any videomapping job.
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:28 pm

Yea, for some projects I don’t have the flexibility to use the same type of projector for all of them.

But most of my projects involve projectors + LEDs. so even if all my projectors are identical, they still do not match up with the LEDs, timing-wise. And I can’t figure out a way to delay the Artnet output for those LED fixtures to compensate. A pixlite LED controller is lightning fast compared to some of my projectors.

So, both of these would be ideal, though the DMX fixture delays (#2 below) could be implemented using syphon “projectors” in a pinch:

1. Per-projector delay, in ms
    2. Per-fixture delay, in ms
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:26 pm

I looked into hardware solutions for delaying Artnet (to keep my lights and projectors in sync) but I wasn’t able to find anything that does that.

I also found out that Resolume can induce delay for individual DMX fixtures, like it can for projectors.

I’m currently looking to delay my lights by 70-90ms in order to keep things in sync with a high-lag projector. Without being able to delay the lights, the lag is noticeable.

Does anyone have a solution with external software/hardware to delay Artnet packets? Maybe I overlooked something. Thanks!

As for Madmapper, built-in fixture delays would be super handy 😎
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: Per-projector and per-fixture delays

by jasonbeyers » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 am

Just checking if this was still on your radar for a future release. Thank you!!! :D
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Per-projector and per-fixture delays

by mad-matt » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 pm

Still in our radar for sure. No promises though. With D3D on Windows, there's almost nothing to do for per projector delay. With OpenGL we have to use a PBO circular buffer. For DMX fixtures it requires deep changes.