Entec pro loses connection after restart
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

Entec pro loses connection after restart

by Teunkneus » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:45 pm

I have a Madlight project which worked fine, but after a restart of the mac it's keeps saying that the entec is already in use by another program.
    I have checked but there is no other program running, even if I kill madmapper and restart it doesn't help.
    Also remove and add the entec doesn't do anything?

did I find a weird bug?
    Other device option which should be better suited for madlight?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Entec pro loses connection after restart

by mad-matt » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:06 pm

1- Did you select Enttec Pro in MM Preferences in DMX Input AND DMX Output ? (You cannot use it as input and output at the same time)
    2- Are you on Windows or macOS ?
    3- Which version of MadMapper ?
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:14 pm

1- Did you select Enttec Pro in MM Preferences in DMX Input AND DMX Output ? (You cannot use it as input and output at the same time)
    2- Are you on Windows or macOS ?
    3- Which version of MadMapper ?
    1- yes only output
    2- Mac
    3- 3.7.1

But I'm finding out it has to do with either saving or autoboot.
    When it's working and I set everything for the final project save it gives me the first error, so it looks like it want's to reconnect again during the save.
    Still trying to work around the problem.
    I first thought it was my own motion controller ( build on arduino) was being seen as an device and this messed up MM but when removed and everything the issue keeps going, so I tested with just MM and no other programs and devices openend or attached and it still gives some problems.

Also when autoboot it doesn't auto start the madlight all the time, it sometimes keeps at the mapping part and thus the lights don't turn on.Is there a way to make sure it always opens at the madlight tab?

Edit: it now opens new empty madmapper when it should open the project. Just made it through login items, and it clearly shows my save file but still opens een new clean MM..... don't know what's happening but it al feels a bit strange.

Edit: Ok I saved it as a new project and it seems to work. Don't know what de difference is except for the fact that the file is no longer on the desktop (but in a folder on the desktop). Also I gave the processing a delay in the boot order because I still had the feeling it tried to hog the Entec for some reason.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Hi,
    Yes the Enttec on macOS is by default handled by a serial port controller (FTDI Simple Serial driver was shipped with macOS till a recent release). The Enttec is using the FTDI USB chipset, which is widely used in the industry and drivers are reliable.
    Of course if another application opens the serial port, it won't be available to MadMapper.
    On macOS, and Windows, MadMapper accepts both drivers for FTDI (Simple Serial & D2XX). For sending those 512 bytes, it doesn't matter which one you use. So there should be no issue in any case. It's been tested for several years by so many people that I am fully confident with this.
    Cheers
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 am

Hi,
    Yes the Enttec on macOS is by default handled by a serial port controller (FTDI Simple Serial driver was shipped with macOS till a recent release). The Enttec is using the FTDI USB chipset, which is widely used in the industry and drivers are reliable.
    Of course if another application opens the serial port, it won't be available to MadMapper.
    On macOS, and Windows, MadMapper accepts both drivers for FTDI (Simple Serial & D2XX). For sending those 512 bytes, it doesn't matter which one you use. So there should be no issue in any case. It's been tested for several years by so many people that I am fully confident with this.
    Cheers
    Thanks, the entec is no longer the problem.
    This morning everything booted normal except that madmapper again openend up a new empty project.
    I have no idea why, but it is hit or miss if it opens the project that I put in the login items or an empty new project.

Edit: made the madmapper file as login item and a backup one with automator (which I gave a delay), so it is a dirty fix but it works. So if the first one starts and isn't the file but again a new project it opens after 30 sec the file again. (first time I encountered this problem)