Fluid transition between scenes
  • PhilippFrank

Fluid transition between scenes

by PhilippFrank » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:31 pm

Hey All. I have created multiple scenes that i want to Autoplay and have transitions (5 sec) between the scenes.
    If I manually hit the next scene i get immediately a beautiful transition. But in autoplay mode from left to right, the image of the next scene freezes for a second and only then starts the transition. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?
    Thanks in advance, Philipp
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Fluid transition between scenes

by mad-matt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:19 am

Hi Philip,
    This is not a known issue. Can you send me your project file so I check what's happening ? (PM)
    Thanks
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:47 am

I checked the file, but hard to test without the bunch of movies referenced in the project.
    First comments:
    1- a few movies haver the "Use hardware acceleration setting" activated. So MadMapper will use AVFoundation (on macOS) or DXVA (on Windows) for decompression in the GPU. Please deactivate it on all movies and see if it solves
    2- are you on macOS or Windows ? If Windows, check that graphics drivers are up to date.
  • PhilippFrank

by PhilippFrank » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi Matt, thanks for having a look. I have send you again a file this time with 2 short clips attached (PM).
    I have deactivated the acceleration, still having the same issue. I work on a macOS.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 pm

I see no lag at all with your project.
    1- What's your computer ? hardware, macOS version, graphics card, memory
    2- Could it be that you have no more RAM, VRAM ?
    3- Do you have a SSD hard drive ?
    4- What if you activate "Use hardware decoding" ? Better ?
    You could try recompressing your movies to HAP if you have an SSD hard drive. See more here: https://hap.video/
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:21 am

PhillipFrank, I'd also suggest killing any non-essential apps (other than MM) that you have installed, while you are testing this. Especially apps that change anything about general Mac OS UI (including Magnet, BetterTouchTool, etc). It's worth a try, as a rogue 3rd-party window manager app wreaked havoc with my MM projects until I tracked down the culprit.
  • PhilippFrank

by PhilippFrank » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:28 pm

Hi Matt and Jason,
    thanks for your answers!
    1.I work on a 2018 iMacPro, with 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD Drive, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB, using High Sierra 10.13.6 MacOS.
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. No

The thing is, the transitions between scenes work fine if i trigger them manually by clicking on the next scene.
    In autoplay mode from left to right, i get that behaviour of the clips "jumping". It seems like the clips jump back to their start and then beginn the transition phase. Most probably i do a mistake while setting the scenes up. Watched the tutorials again but cant find any error in my setup. Autoplay from left to right is on. Play next movie when loop finishes, Fade set to 5 seconds. Should work easy.
    I uploaded a short screencapture (51mb) here on wetransfer to show the problem: https://we.tl/t-EH0HsBRHAG
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:16 am

Okay then that's not a "lag", that's because the movie restarts from beginning. You can deactivate it:
    - Select all your scenes
    - Open the Cue Inspector
    - Select "Medias" in the tree view
    - In the search field type "Restart" => you are now editing the "Restart" setting of all your medias inside all selected Scenes at once !
    - Just uncheck the "Value" checkbox on the right

That's it !