MIDI TIMECODE CONTROL FAIL - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
  • ansonfogel

MIDI TIMECODE CONTROL FAIL - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

by ansonfogel » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:29 pm

I cannot get Midi TC to trigger cue's correctly without "pausing" every surface output - I posted this as a bug, but more and more I think I am just doing something wrong. So here is the issue and question - I set up a simple surface (quad) with a short, HD H264 video file. I create a cue (not a scene) for that surface/video. I set the loop to the section I want to play in the inspector. When I manually trigger the cue, fine, it all works. FWIW I am on an iMAc Pro running High Sierra current version and MM most current release version.

Then I add a MIDI in control to that cue on the grid. I choose Midi, Timecode. It then asks for a SOURCE RANGE. 0 to 86,400 is the possible range in the window in MM. I want to trigger it at 40 seconds. I set the source range to 40 on the value on the left, and 41 as the value on the right. IT triggers at 40 seconds, when playing cubase (on another PC) and feeding it TC via USB Midi dongle. BUT: While it is playing/getting TC, the POSITION bar shows a value and it toggles +/- a few tenths of a second, and essentially stays there/pauses the video. It also locks out all other surfaces in the same way. When I stop Cubase, ending TC input via Midi, the video then plays.

If I set the source range in the CONTROLS Midi input section to start at 40 on the left and 39 on the right - and play/send it TC, it turns on the surface and again, pauses the video, even at 0 seconds - continuing to pause the video and output it paused until 40 seconds, then it does in fact play.

However, any OTHER cue also gets paused/locked. So, any controls that are programmed to a source range pause/lock output of the surface EXCEPT for the cue with the latest / last source range. I have tried different USB Midi devices. I have even tried different computers, differerent Midi output settings in Cubase, different versions of MM itself. Different cables. Same issue. Must be me!

What the heck am I doing wrong here? I have tried changing the source ranges to any variety of combinations - and no matter what I do, it pauses output on any and all surfaces on TC input until the last programmed cue in the time range, which also only works if I set the range backwards as described above.

I have searched the internet, forums, manuals...cannot find anything?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: MIDI TIMECODE CONTROL FAIL - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

by mad-matt » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:39 pm

The issue is that since the "control" to trigger the cue is activated each time the "control" input value changes (over zero), when the Time Code reaches the "source range" minimum value you set (ie 40 seconds), it will trigger the cue on each frame, so it will restart the media.
    This is desired with some controllers inputs (some MIDI buttons are sending the same value whenever you press the button), but not with a MIDI Time Code, or with a sensor (where the input value is always changing). We'll handle that in the next coming beta. It should be easy enough to differentiate MIDI TimeCode, After Touch, Leap Motion channels or Playstation Controller sensors, and do a different handling for those.

My question is: why do you use MTC to trigger cues in fact ? If you use a MIDI note (ie with a MIDI track dedicated to MadMapper control in cubase), you can position it the events graphically in cubase, instead of editing the control range in MadMapper. It looks easier. The MTC is more meant to synchronize a movie playback.
  • ansonfogel

Re: MIDI TIMECODE CONTROL FAIL - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

by ansonfogel » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Aha!!!! YEs, finally, this makes sense. We are also using MTC to synch a laser machine/software in this show, Pangolin Beyond, which works perfectly with MTC. In any case, the answer is, MM does not support MTC really for triggering cues at varying times. Basically. Your idea is perfect and yes, better - to simply use midi notes to trigger in the CB timeline. Thanks...