TouchDesigner OSCOUT to madMapper
  • niccab

TouchDesigner OSCOUT to madMapper

by niccab » Mon May 04, 2020 9:59 am

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use TouchDesigner to send OSC out to madMapper to change the channel values of a custom fixture. I made sure that they are both on network port 8010, and used OSC_Data_Monitor to verify that TD was sending out OSC data. For example sake (please see attached image), I am sending out to the OSC address "[8010]/surfaces/Quad-1/opacity [insert changed value]". How exactly does madMapper want to receive the incoming value? What other preferences do I have to change? Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help!
    Attachments
    TD-OSC_troubleshoot1.PNG
    TD-OSC_troubleshoot1.PNG (564.82 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: TouchDesigner OSCOUT to madMapper

by mad-matt » Wed May 06, 2020 10:57 pm

If you send a value to "/surfaces/Quad-1/opacity", you have to send a floating point from 0.0 to 1.0.
    If you send a value of the exact type that the destination, the value will be directly transmitted (not "denormalized" from 0-1 to the target range).
    You can also control any bounded parameter with a float from 0.0 to 1.0 (I say bounded because a text string can't be controlled with a number, ie "/medias/Text Generator/Text")

Note that you can copy the OSC address of any parameter by right clicking the widget and choose "Copy OSC address".
    In OSC address, spaces are replaced by underscores (spaces are not allowed in OSC addresses in the standard). MadMapper will accept
    "/surfaces/My Super Long Surface Name/opacity"
    but to respect the standard OSC address is
    "/surfaces/My_Super_Long_Surface_Name/opacity"

Let me know if you still have issues knowing that!