Multiple projector, cheaper alternative to Matrox?
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

Multiple projector, cheaper alternative to Matrox?

by AgentD » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:48 am

Hi,

I need to connect 4 projectors for a projection mapping project. I have been using TripleHead2Go and DualHead2Go but I want to find an alternative as these devices are very expensive. I found a multi-monitor adapter which costs only $100 and I am wondering if this could replace them.

j5create JCA366 USB Type-C to 4-Port HDMI Multi-Monitor Adapter
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _port.html

Does anyone have experience with this? What is the main difference? Please advice. Thank you!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Multiple projector, cheaper alternative to Matrox?

by mad-matt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:36 pm

This is not splitter, this just presents four outputs of your graphics card. A splitter like Matrox QuadHead2Go is appearing as a single screen at OS level and will split it to multiple. Using a QuadHead2Go or a Datapath FX4 splitter, you're using a single slots of your GPU, so you can still have your laptop screen and other displays. Since most graphics card cannot handle more than 4 displays, you won't be able to use 4 outputs + laptop screen with this device. But you have to check for your GPU. Except that, it's not a problem to use this device with MM.
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

Re: Multiple projector, cheaper alternative to Matrox?

by AgentD » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:18 am

Sorry, I am confused... I understand that Matrox external GPU provides one big extended screen and MadMapper lets you split it to 2 or 3 screens to output. How does this j5Create work compare to Matrox?