MIDI Mapped Controls Disappear Upon Restart
  • aminafoxdye

MIDI Mapped Controls Disappear Upon Restart

by aminafoxdye » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:37 am

Hello,

I am currently assigning MIDI controls to the FX parameters of a collection of quads. I have assigned one MIDI fader to shift through the different FX for each surface, and am then using MIDI knobs to control various parameters within each FX. In total for all surfaces, the number of MIDI controls being mapped is likely around 200-300.

I can successfully assign all of the MIDI controls to FX parameters just fine- however after saving, closing the program and reopening, the majority of the MIDI assignments disappear. If I leave the quads set to a specific FX ("VHS", for example), I noticed that the MIDI assignments for those specific FX parameters do not disappear- it is only the parameters for FX which are not currently selected that are gone.

It is driving me nuts having to assign MIDI controls over and over again only to have them disappear upon closing MadMapper. Has anyone run into this before?

Any suggestions, input or feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Amina

Laptop: Acer Predator Helios 300 w/ Windows 10 & NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060
    MIDI Controller: Akai APC40 mkII
    Version: MadMapper 4
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: MIDI Mapped Controls Disappear Upon Restart

by mad-matt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:58 am

Hi,
    This is indeed a bug. We've fixed that one for 4.0.8. Should be released soon.
    Sorry for the issue and thanks for reporting.
    Kind Regards,
    Matt - MM team
  • aminafoxdye

by aminafoxdye » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:48 am

Hi Matt- thanks for the heads up and for working on getting this bug fixed. In the meantime, I ended up finding a workaround that allowed me to do substantially less MIDI mapping and also have more versatile FX controlling.

Rather than controlling the FX parameters for each individual surface in my project, I instead created a sort of "master FX" projector layer that I could use to overlay FX by doing the following:

- Set my original projector's destination to "none" and enable "Output to Spout". (My project currently only outputs to 1 display)
    - Create a 2nd projector and set it's destination to the desired output display.
    - Create a new quad for each FX that I want to overlay over the master projector output.
    - Set the media on the new quad to the original projector's Spout output, map the quad's opacity to a MIDI fader, assign the desired FX to it, and then MIDI map the rest of the desired FX parameters.
    - Stretch the new quads over the entire 2nd projector. All other active surfaces remain on the original projector.

Now when I want to add an effect, I can simply increase the opacity on the corresponding Spout quad. This seems to runs far smoother on my GPU than when I was attempting to control individual FX modes for all of my surfaces simultaneously.

Best,
    Amina
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:08 pm

Cool workflow. 4.0.8 should be the official version in a few hours, and includes the fix.
    Cheers