sending OSC from MadMapper
  • alicejoss

sending OSC from MadMapper

by alicejoss » Wed May 19, 2021 12:29 pm

Hello, I would like to purchase the new MadMapper 4 for an istallation and i have some questions..
    I have used madmapper 1 or 2 times but im still a newbee

I have an animation that interacts with some motors. and i want to trigger them at a specific moment in time preferably in frames.
    eg. in frame 32 i want to send a trigger via OSC to activate the 1st mechanism
    in frame 100 the 2nd one and so on..
    So far i have tried two things.
    1. I created an OSC out module from the 4th tab on the upper left corner and I created a que with the send now property. If I activate the que it works. but now I want to link the que with the position property. how do i do that?
    2. I also added an OSC control in the position property and i send a trigger from there using the target range (its from o to one i can't see the frames) but the thing is, i can do it only once. I can't create more OSC controls in the position property it seems.. i need a lot of different triggers.

maybe i don't understand how OSC works im really new to this, i would appreciate if someone could help me..

One more question I have is about audio. Does MadMapper support multichannel audio? Right now i can see only two channels in preferences. Also i need it perfectly synced because i have lip syncing. Do you think i should change the Engine FPS from auto to manual 25fps? (this is my frame rate)

Finally how much RAM do you recoment for MadMapper to run smoothly? I will buy a computer only for this installation and i'm trying to fit it in my budget. The video is about 6 min long but I think I should have a lot of layers maybe 15 of them with alpha to map it correctly. The canvas is about 6500 x 1080. Another option is to have more but full HD, what do you think it's better for performane? does the number of clips matter? or only the number of pixels in total?
    Right now on my computer i did some tests and it runs smoothly but i do have 64GB of ram, whitch is out of budget for the new computer. What do you recomend?

Thank you very much!
  • dawidrys26

Re: sending OSC from MadMapper

by dawidrys26 » Thu May 20, 2021 6:31 pm

i want to trigger them at a specific moment in time preferably in frames.
    eg. in frame 32 i want to send a trigger via OSC to activate the 1st mechanism
    Recently, I have been struggling with an identical topic!
    I managed to solve it as follows - I recorded a video for u:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtwMc_RZZJw
    Maybe it will be helpful. I used Open Stage Control for OSC message
    As we already have a "button" that works on a specific frame - this "button" we can trigger everything we want frm cue to other osc adress :)

Finally how much RAM do you recoment for MadMapper to run smoothly?
    Recently I was doing a strong stresstests and RAM turned out to be the least of the problem.
    I tested 2 large video files in the Codec HAP Q
    10900 x 1200
    and
    7680 x 1080
    The computer had 8GB of RAM and everything was fine.
    However, the real bottelnecek turned out to be the CPU and GPU, which should be more powerful.
  • alicejoss

by alicejoss » Fri May 21, 2021 7:48 am

Thank you for your reply,
    Yes, it was very helpfull, so you are saying I send the position to another program and from there i calculate the frames and send the triggers yes?
    Thank you very much!
  • alicejoss

by alicejoss » Fri May 21, 2021 7:54 am

oh and what about the multichannel audio?? Do you know if madmapper supports it?