Need help on scene scenario
  • fgsp_dev

Need help on scene scenario

by fgsp_dev » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:10 pm

I'm having an issue getting this straight forward scenario to work properly.

I have 2 videos (Video A and B) and 3 scenes (Scenes 1, 2, 3)

• Scene 1 should play video A one time, with a fade-in. When it ends, it should progress to Scene 2
    • Scene 2 should play video A in a loop continuously (no fade)
    • Scene 3 is triggered via OSC; it should fade-in Video B, play it once, then return to Scene 1
    • (Process repeats) After Scene 1 plays once (Video A), Scene 2 should continue to loop Video A content until another OSC signal is received to advance to Scene 3
    It seems that the global playhead (Auto Play) works to advance the scenes automatically. Unfortunately overriding the Auto Play by checking "Use local auto play settings" has no affect when the "Play next when a video loop finishes". The media either stops or loops, but does not advance to the next scene as indicated by the UI.

Please help me understand how to achieve the scenario I've outlined.

Thank you!
  • fgsp_dev

Re: Need help on scene scenario

by fgsp_dev » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:38 pm

Ok, we've managed to resolve this issue for our use case.

We really just needed a smooth crossfade from video A to video B, but at any given time in their respective loops, via an OSC signal issued from an external controller.

Unfortunately crossfading wasn't a straight forward process. However we stumbled upon a solution. Hopefully this answer can help others looking to do the same thing:

Crossfading between two videos from any point in the video loop

In order to create smooth transitions from video A to video B from any given point in their loops requires using 2 scenes, along with a weird trick on the video loop that you're crossfading from

Scenes/Cues Settings
    • Auto play is OFF
    Scene 1 - settings
    • Fade set to 5s
    • Video A surface ON (current visible loop)
    • Video B surface OFF
    • IMPORTANT : Video B's media panel settings and parameters: Set loop duration to 0
    Scene 2 - settings
    • Fade set to 5s
    • Video B surface ON (current visible loop)
    • Video A surface OFF
    • IMPORTANT : Video A's media panel settings and parameters: Set loop duration to 0
    With the above 2 scenes setup like this, we can now trigger either of those scenes and get a smooth crossfade from one video to the other from any point in their respective loops