Windows: how to maintain output to projectors when switching desktops
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Windows: how to maintain output to projectors when switching desktops

by jasonbeyers » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:43 am

Hi everyone,

I'm migrating from Mac to Windows to avoid a long list of performance & stability issues with macOS Big Sur + eGPU + Madmapper, and have a question about Windows.

With Madmapper on Mac, I am able to maintain output to my projectors even if I switch the focus to a Mac space not containing the Madmapper UI. With MIDI controllers, I often don't need to see the Madmapper UI during a show and would rather be controlling something else on my main monitor (Ableton Live, or something else) alongside this. Madmapper continues sending output to the projects when I switch the focus away, in full screen output mode.

On Windows, I notice that Madmapper stops sending output to my projectors if I switch to a different windows desktop (the analog to Mac spaces). Basically it seems that the Madmapper UI needs to remain on a screen for full-screen mode (output mode) to continue working.

Is there a way around this? I'm hoping to drive 3 projectors and 1 monitor from my GPU, but I need that monitor to be showing something that isn't Madmapper. One idea is to run TouchOSC on a touchscreen monitor and not use the MM UI at all during a show.

Thanks, and pardon my ignorance! I am rather new to Windows for anything other than games.
    -Jason
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Windows: how to maintain output to projectors when switching desktops

by mad-matt » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi Jason,
    I've not tested this situation. I'll check asap.
    Can you tell me if switching from "Direct3D" to "OpenGL" in MM Preferences / Engine / Output Type helps ?
    Cheers
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:02 am

Sorry for the late reply!

I observe this with both Direct3D and OpenGL, and am still seeing it every time.

Are you able to reproduce it on your end?

Thanks!
    -Jason
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:38 pm

Not tried yet, I'm back from a internal workshop. I'll check it asap and let you know
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:33 am

thank you!
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:09 pm

My workaround at the moment is just to keep all my relevant programs on the same desktop window:

* Madmapper
    * TouchOSC
    * Ableton Live
    * ASIO4All control panel
    * Voicemeeter audio routing control panel
    * DJ software

And that leaves my 3 remaining GPU video outputs for 3 projectors, without having to use a Datapath or similar.

Definitely not ideal to switch among all of those on the same desktop, but its workable. Not a blocker :)

It would be great if Madmapper could maintain output without the UI being visible on my primary monitor (like how it works on Mac).
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:37 am

Any word on this one? Is it just not possible to do this, with how Windows manages Desktops (compared with Mac's Spaces)?

Thanks!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:33 pm

Hi Jason,

Sorry for getting back to you so late about this.

I found a solution: Type Win + Tab to show up the Multiple Desktops panel also showing windows of the current desktop. Right click on one of them and you can choose either "Show this window on all desktops" or "Show windows from this app on all desktops". You can now switch desktop and they'll stick to the screen.
    Afaik, if you choose the 2nd option, it will remember your choice even if you close all windows from the app at one point.

Source: https://superuser.com/questions/965385/ ... windows-10
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:04 am

Thanks so much Matt! I thought it may have been something that the app itself needed to do, but this general trick seems to be working great!