How to warp my warped scene?
  • looseopinions

How to warp my warped scene?

by looseopinions » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:58 pm

Hi, I have put together a show which uses a portable projection surface made of different three dimensional shapes.

When I set up at venues, I never know the exact projector angle I will be able to have, and I will have to place the projector wherever I can make it work based on venue limitations.

I have many layers that are mapped onto the various faces of my projection surface, but when the projector is placed at a dramatically different angle, it is impossible to get the surfaces to line up unless I go into every last layer and rewarp them, which is not practical for a quick setup at a venue. Furthermore, my presets and cues would have to be redone with the adjusted perspectives.

I tried putting all of my layers in a group and perspective warping the group, but it still does not account for the perspective shifts within the projection area. Mesh warping the group would solve this problem but this doesn't seem possible to mesh warp a group.

Am I going about this the wrong way? How can I set up at home, build my show, take my setup to a venue, and quickly rewarp the output without having to rewarp every single layer in every scene?
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: How to warp my warped scene?

by jasonbeyers » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:18 pm

I’d suggest using internal syphon/spout routing (or the new internal loopback feature in 5.0.0) so that you can keep your surfaces/layers in a fixed position, then placing surfaces over your final projection area (real projector). Those “final” surfaces would simply take in slices of the internal texture stream. You’ll get a 1-frame delay with this method, but it will make your life so much easier when you need to adjust the mapping.

I use internal texture routing for basically every project these days, it is sooo handy.
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: How to warp my warped scene?

by jasonbeyers » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:05 pm

Oh, I think I misunderstood the original issue. If you just want to warp / change perspective of the whole composition, you can still use the method I described above - but you’ll only need a single surface laid over your “final” projector window. That surface could just display the content from the other projector window (using syphon / spout / loopback). You’d also have the opportunity to apply a surface FX to the whole composition if you wanted, or you could just pass the content as-is.