adjust points in fullscreen mode
  • visio_001

adjust points in fullscreen mode

by visio_001 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:48 pm

hello madmappers,

perhaps a stupid question:
    i have a pc with 4 outputs and want to output 4 projections.
    is there a way to adjust points when fullscreen switch on?

is there a way to get the madmapper window in front?
    or are there any special keyboard shortcuts or can i use the mouse to adjust the points without a gui ?

perhaps someone could give me a hint.
    i do not work often with madmapper ;-)

thanks in advance!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: adjust points in fullscreen mode

by mad-matt » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:30 am

You can disable hiding mouse cursor on fullscreen, so you can click and manipulate surfaces on the output directly.
    To do so:
    on macOS, in Terminal.app, paste: defaults write com.garagecube.MadMapper hide_cursor_on_output 0
    on Windows, in Cmd.exe, paste: REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Garagecube\MadMapper /f /v hide_cursor_on_output /t REG_SZ /d 0
    And restart MadMapper. To revert, replace the 0 by a 1 in the command line.

A recommandation: you can use a USB screen to have MadMapper user interface (on windows just set the "main display" in windows to a display connected to your GPU, not to the USB). Or you could use a single computer output in 4k60 and use a splitter like Datapath, Matrox QuadHead2Go, StarTech.com ST124HDVW) to get 4 FullHD60 outputs
  • visio_001

by visio_001 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:49 pm

Hello mad-matt,

Thank you so much for the fast help and all this very useful tips.
    On my PC I was able to turn on the mouse cursor.
    But I was not able to select a surface in fullscreen mode.
    Only if I select it first at the mad mapper user interface ...
    I tried it with activated "Show info" and "Video cursor" options.

From my standpoint it would be great to have the ability to bring the mad mapper user interface in front in "Full Screen Mode".
    Perhaps with a shortcut. Or is there still a hidden option or a terminal command for it?

Then there would be no need for additional hardware. Only a network connection and a screen sharing computer.

In my specific case, I ended up with a USB to HDMI adaptor and a EDID to fake a Monitor.
    Then i used Teamviewer on another machine with a network cable.
    (anydesk does not allow LAN connections ...)
    The distance from the computer to projectors was too far for USB.

I also want to add a hardware tip for a "cheap" uscb-c splitter device. Around 400€
    USB-c to 4x 4k via HDMI. They say: up to four DisplayPort (3840 x2160 p60)
    Have not tested this device personally.

https://de.targus.com/products/usb-c-un ... dock570euz

Best,
    visio
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:37 pm

From my standpoint it would be great to have the ability to bring the mad mapper user interface in front in "Full Screen Mode".
    What would be the benefit of this against current ergonomics where you can select & adjust points at the zoom level you want within the preview, with the cursor directly reflecting on the fullscreen window?
  • visio_001

by visio_001 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:13 am

Hello Pierre,
    Thank you very much for your fast response!

Perhaps I have overlooked something.
    But how is it possible to select & adjust points in fullscreen mode?
    Would be great to know! I am on PC and did the Cmd.exe hack.

It would be cool if we could do select & adjust with the keyboard.

Someting like this:
    Cursor: top, left, right, button
    Z: accuracy+
    U: accuracy-
    Y: previous shape
    X: next shape
    B: previous point
    N: Next point

Or mapping this to a joystick would be awesome.
    Mouse can be very tricky, if you have more than one projector and 3D shapes.

The benefit to bring the Madmapper UI in front,you only need a screen sharing over an ethernet connection. and we would be able to use all the Madmapper UI functions without adding an external USB monitor or Video hardware.

Best,
    visio
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:53 pm

In most cases adding a USB screen for the User Interface does work, at least at setup time (it impacts performances because the previews in the user interface are rendered by the GPU so memory must be transfered to the USB screen, but that might very depending on the setup)
  • visio_001

by visio_001 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:08 am

Hello mad-matt,

Thank you very much for the response.
    Perhaps using all of the "physical" outputs on a computer is not common.
    Personally i had this many times. (quad out with NVIDIA cards) In my use cases is also very common, that the machine which is playing out the mapping is not at the same physical space as the projection. Especially on big events or exhibitions. So playing out video and sending the keyboard an mouse signals over a USB extension is critical, sometimes not possible. For example, if the distance is 50m. So a ethernet connection to a laptop is much more stable and more comfortable. (less cables, no need for power for a long time, very good monitor ...)

So I am curious what solution Pierre suggested.

Or is it simply not possible to select surfaces and adjust points with keyboard and mouse in fullscreen mode?
    Or bring the user interface in front.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want to criticize. Just want to check out the limits and i would like to give user feedback. Perhaps it helps to make madmapper better. Btw I love madmapper :-)

Can you give a recommendation for a USB Monitor, which is working on an ordinary USB3.1 port on Windows? (best without driver installation)

Best,
    visio
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:55 pm

Hi Visio,
    The general idea is to manipulate the surface in the preview, using your mouse at the desired zoom level for placement, then the keyboard arrows for precise adjustements.
    When mouse cursor is activated in fullscreen, the position of the mouse in the preview will be represented as both horizontal and vertical lines crossing at its corresponding coordinates.
    This solution is better than manipulating a cursor directly on the fullscreen window(s), precisely because you can zoom in the preview window to the desired level without ever modifying what happens on the fullscreen, plus it moves across the screens without having to know their relative positions.
    Does it make sense to you?
  • BEProdAus

by BEProdAus » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:02 am

I would try using Amyuni's virtual screen you can get it here https://www.amyuni.com/downloads/usbmmidd_v2.zip
    Basically, it creates a virtual monitor and you can set this as your main display. Then you remote into this window using any old local remote software and move your points around as needed.
    That or I have done a lot of fullscreen, desktop > adjust a bit, fullscreen etc.