Good Workflow and Tips for 12K, 16K, & Beyond Visual Content for Projection Mapping
  • Lumenarius

Good Workflow and Tips for 12K, 16K, & Beyond Visual Content for Projection Mapping

by Lumenarius » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:14 pm

For an upcoming project we are doing a very long landscape projection piece where people will be quite close.

It will make us of x7 1920 x 1080 projectors with 20% overlap.

This gives an effective resolution of about 13,000 x 1080 for the entire canvas.

All I can figure out how to so is up to 8K (7,680 x 1080).

After searching online it appears as though MadMapper can indeed handle resolutions of this size.

But, what codec do I need? It looks like HVEC . mp4 can only do up to 7,680? Is that right?

Do I need a different codec to get to 13k?

What about even bigger like 16k?

Until we get AI upscale on a chip for projectors I can only imagine ironing out this workflow in terms of codec and performance will be of use to many multi-projector projects.

Thank you for any tips, tricks, or insights!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Good Workflow and Tips for 12K, 16K, & Beyond Visual Content for Projection Mapping

by mad-matt » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:06 am

After searching online it appears as though MadMapper can indeed handle resolutions of this size.
    Sure
    But, what codec do I need? It looks like HVEC . mp4 can only do up to 7,680? Is that right?
    Best codec for very high resolution is HAP or HapQ (can be encoded with Adobe or with ffmpeg command line), or HapR on Windows in coming 5.5 release (you need Jokyo HAP encoder for encoding at the moment)
    What about even bigger like 16k?
    No problem if your graphics card max resolution is 32k (some GPUs are limited to 16k).
    For instance nVidia 3090 is 32k, you can search GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE value here https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchma ... group=info
  • Lumenarius

Re: Good Workflow and Tips for 12K, 16K, & Beyond Visual Content for Projection Mapping

by Lumenarius » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:21 am

Wonderful and thank you for the tips on CODEC.

I will have to take a look at those and see what works well.

For this most recent event we ended up using Apple ProRes 422 HQ and that worked well.