Surface opacity animation
  • dnelson7

Surface opacity animation

by dnelson7 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:25 pm

Hello! It's taken me two days to figure out a problem with surface opacity animations. I have surfaces in my project that I tired to start at zero opacity, then move to a new destination at 100% opacity. The surfaces were simply "popping" to the location where I wanted them to go when moved them and updated the scene. I removed the opacity parameter, and moved the surface off stage and then the animations moved from point A in Scene-1 to point B in Scene-2. Surface opacity works if the surface doesn't move.

Why does this happen and is there a workflow I'm missing?

Thx!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Surface opacity animation

by mad-matt » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:37 pm

In most cases when a surface is invisible and you make it slowly visible, you don't want to fade from its current visual / geometry / fx etc. but just fade the opacity with the new settings already applied. So in this case MadMapper skips fading all other surface settings.
    To avoid that just set the opacity to 0.1% instead of 0. It won't be rendered anyway if below 0.4% so it won't consume CPU/GPU. We'll change lot of things in next release but actually that's the trick
  • dnelson7

by dnelson7 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:27 pm

Ahh.

Thanks for the tip!

In the new version of MM, can you add a feature that uses the time of a targeted video to "play next when first movie loop finishes"? Right now move loop end gets confused when running multiple videos. it would be great if one could target a specific video to control the playing and timing of scenes and cues.

Madmapper is great and keeps improving.

Best
  • dnelson7

by dnelson7 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 pm

Does setting the opacity to 0.1 for a group consume CPU/GPU, or do all surfaces in the group need to be set to 0.1 individually?