First impression and questions.
  • technomorph
    activ8 member

by technomorph » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:43 pm

deepvisual wrote:Image

surely you just output an image like this from M8 then send each bit to whatever quad you want..

how do you get a 6 x 5 (30 clips) output like that from Modul8 with just
    10 layers available?
  • ilan

by ilan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:08 pm

You comp them all together in QuickTime movie, or break it down into several groups of movies. The overall effect will be the same unless you have to really specifically change each movie individually. That be the case then you will probably want to seek out a more custom solution such as a QuartzComposer patch, creating as many sprites as needed and then setting up a controller with TouchOSC that triggers various arrays of video.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 pm

A solution for merging multiple layers into one layer in Modul8 might be this. Position your movies in Modul8 in multiple layers, then create a logical record (see the modul8 manual if you have not tried this feature) to create a movie and then import this movie into Modul8. But of course if you have more than 10 movies you will not be able to do this in one take.
    Another solution is of course to use After Effects or another video editing app. But the logical record function of Modul8 is very handy if you don't have other apps at hand.

PS: I am pretty sure that the Syphon output size from Modul8 has a lot of impact on the overall speed and performance of your computer. So try to place your movies without too much extra empty space to cut down the total amount of pixels rendered.
  • technomorph
    activ8 member

by technomorph » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Vibber wrote:A solution for merging multiple layers into one layer in Modul8 might be this. Position your movies in Modul8 in multiple layers, then create a logical record (see the modul8 manual if you have not tried this feature) to create a movie and then import this movie into Modul8. But of course if you have more than 10 movies you will not be able to do this in one take.
    Another solution is of course to use After Effects or another video editing app. But the logical record function of Modul8 is very handy if you don't have other apps at hand.

PS: I am pretty sure that the Syphon output size from Modul8 has a lot of impact on the overall speed and performance of your computer. So try to place your movies without too much extra empty space to cut down the total amount of pixels rendered.

this allows ZERO flexibility in a live performance situation.....
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:26 am

this allows ZERO flexibility in a live performance situation.....

So true..
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi,

Can't draw mask....
    select mask in left list, item - surface1 ( mask ) appears in list, i select it, then click on output preview window, and it selects a different layer....

also i get this when resizing... ???? how do i post an image? ( should be an image with 'smeared' lines going to edge of window.

tdog.
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:33 am

you have to draw your mask in the ouptut window if you first click on the input window it will end up the drawing. ensure you don't click on the input window and i will work.
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Ok, thanks,
    got that..... now, the mask creates a black shape over the image; not as i was expecting - a hole where the image appears.
    do i need to 'invert' the mask shape.

tdog
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Ok, thanks,
    got that..... now, the mask creates a black shape over the image; not as i was expecting - a hole where the image appears.
    do i need to 'invert' the mask shape.

tdog
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Actually, I didn't get that part either. That works too but it isn't even half as convenient as if the it was actually revealing things where you create the mask. Is there a way to do that? That would be the fastest way of making a mask around an object of any kind.
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 pm

it's a little bit tricky , you do the outside mask then you duplicate the quad you wanted to mask then you do the inner mask
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 pm

Lupin wrote:it's a little bit tricky , you do the outside mask then you duplicate the quad you wanted to mask then you do the inner mask

tricky.........? you said it,

now i'm really confused- from the intuitive, relatively logical modul8, to the illogical and non-intuitive madmapper; please bring the manual a s a p..

tdog.
  • ilan

by ilan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:49 pm

The following tutorial covers how to use the mask feature:

http://www.madmapper.com/after-effects- ... -building/

In a future release there will be a 'reveal' type mask.
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:00 pm

ilan wrote:The following tutorial covers how to use the mask feature:

http://www.madmapper.com/after-effects- ... -building/

In a future release there will be a 'reveal' type mask.

thanks, muchly,
    appreciated

tdog.
  • technomorph
    activ8 member

by technomorph » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:24 pm

seems like this was released way too soon!