madmapper ideal for stage mask?
  • area71

madmapper ideal for stage mask?

by area71 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi,

I use modul8 a long time. But now i have to project onto a stage with some "design objects". I´ve tried the demo and read a lot but still don´t know if madmapper is the right software for me.

The screens I have to project on are different to quarders and triangles.
    In the background i have a star and in the foregroung some floating white screens.
    Can i get a mask or a shape for these screens easyly with madmapper? Or do I need to mask it with hundreds of quads to get a nearly round shape? Is the special scanner a help for this?

There is a pic of the screens attached.

Hope you can help me find the best solution.

Thanks,

area71
    Attachments
    Screens.jpg
    Screens.jpg (164.54 KiB) Viewed 13016 times
    sigmasix
    master

Re: madmapper ideal for stage mask?

by sigmasix » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi, I assume there is somewhere a vector file of the shape of those screens?! Can you prepare your medias already masked and just adjust the perspective and scale depending of the venue where the show will be? I wouldn't bother making a mask in mad mapper if the shape won't change for a long time.
  • area71

by area71 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi,

thanks for the help, but i think that won´t work.
    The problem is we have only one day for the complete setup and four days for the rehearsals. :(
    And I don´t know yet, how they will be placed on the stage. This decision will be made on the first day of rehearsal.
    I think those screens are handmade, so no file for them.

Because of that i hoped that I can use the scanner and have quickly a good mask.

cheers,

area71
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi there,
    You wrote me an email asking how we accomplished the mapping in this video

http://vimeo.com/24870530

Well we started out with a vector shape and cut out our figures using that shape.

In your case as you don't have a vector shape, I would take a picture of the shape and create a mask from that picture. I would try and take the photo as head on as possible using a camera with a non wide angle lens to try and get as close to the 'true shape' of the object as possible. Then I would create a mask from that in Photoshop or whatever (you don't need an actual vector graphic, a bitmap picture will do). Then you have a good basis you can work on from venue to venue tweaking and adjusting it with the madmapper tools.

In our experience it is doable although it takes a bit of practice especially with organic shapes. Geometric shapes are easier it seems.

Best regards
    -Vibeke
  • area71

by area71 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply. Thats a great service. :D

I hope I get some better pictures or the original files of these things soon.

Regards,

area71
  • area71

by area71 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi,

ok, I have now some good pics of the screens an made some masks in photoshop.

But how can I use these masks for "project only"? I can mask out the sides but always cut out the screens in the back because they are very close together.

Is it possible to make four different alpha mask like the one in after effects? What are the differences of the masks in madmapper?
    Or can I place them all onto the screens and make a global mask in modul8?

Regards,

area71
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi there, I would Line to try and help but I simply do not understand the issue you are trying to explain. Could you try and say it in another way?
  • area71

by area71 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:13 am

Hi,

i know, it´s hard to descibe. :|
    The screens will stand nearly as on the left picture. Just closer together, two of them in the front and two behind them.

The problem is to project on each screen separately. When I mask out the one in the front, I will cut out the screen in the back too?

In AE you can blend two layers together using the alpha channel. So that the second layer is only shown in the active area of the first layer.
    It would be great if this would work in modul8 or madmapper too, so that I can use the mask as a layer for the movies.

I would like to use five masks, one for each screen. But i want to project only on each single screen.
    But I think I just can use the screens in the foreground, not in the back. They need to be masked out.

Hope, this helps to understand.

cheers,

area71
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:04 pm

You should try to draw on the paper the screens overview and how you projector(s) shine the light. You may understand the possibilities and impossibilities this way better. AE and computer is virtual space while you projector and screens are in physical space. You need to project from somewhere to something.
    You can make a clip in AE of a shape where the movie is on and the rest transparent. When you place this on upper layer in M8 the movie on under layer will show only where the transparency is on upper layer. No blending at all(lumakey inactive).
    But when you want to add third layer you have to leave transparent part into BOTH upper layers in order to see it.
    So I would use just one layer and as many computer and projectors as needed. In your case two. If I would be creative I would use one computer and Matrox DH2Go to send different shapes and movies to projectors.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Although I am still not quite sure what you are trying to achieve - as I understand it you have a problem when masks of the different shapes overlap. But that is a physical problem related to the position of the projectors.
    Anyways, it seems my knowledge of Madmapper is not good enough. I thought you could import an image and use it as a mask in madmapper. However I don't see that option in Madmapper. So instead I guess you should create a global mask in Modul8. This requires you to have one mask for the whole scene so you will have to construct this for each location you perform in.
    I would do this by creating white shapes that match your physical objects. Import them into Modul8 as usual and place them on layers. Then position them at the venue until they map onto your objects. Use the mapmapmap plugin if necessay to make them stretch and fit. Then export the whole thing as an image by using the screenshot feature in Modul8. (Although I had some problems with this feature when using the Advanced Output setup. But I think it works when nit using advanced output). This black and white image can then be used as a global mask in Modul8.
    Actually by using this method you don't have to use Madmapper at all.

hope this helps...
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Load your content in Modul8.
    Apply a global mask on top of everything.
    (to do the mask, if the shapes are hand-made, once built take a photo of all the shapes,
    having positioned "flat", no perspective on the photo).

In MadMApper, use quads to select which element you want to map,
    then deform/adjust the perspective to fit each element onto itself.

piece of cake.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:46 pm

@franz. Takes some time though ;-) But yes that solution would probably work also...