Seemingly Simple Question
    gmint
    ultim8 member

Seemingly Simple Question

by gmint » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 am

I'm a long time Modul8 user and I recently purchased MadMapper for use on a new lounge installation. At this point (even with the release of v. 1.1) I'm feeling like MadMapper just isn't the tool that I was hoping it would be (for my job, anyways). I've asked to swap my MM license for a M8 license (and pay any extra charge, of course) but I've gotten no reply to that. That said, here's my real issue:

I have (several) areas where I want to project on a logo. Obviously, I can, and have done this in M8, but it really seems to me like MM ought to be the right tool for this. I guess I really don't understand why I can't (assuming) import a vector image, make a mask out of that, and manipulate it in MadMapper. I understand how the program works if I'm mapping primitive shapes, and as cool as that is, it's not what I need to do for this particular project. So, the question I have is: am I missing something? On one hand, it seems like MM is a very sophisticated program. On the other hand, it seems very limited in what it can do...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Seemingly Simple Question

by franz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:30 am

For license exchange ask the support, obviously they'll see what they can do.

Meanwhile, to try to answer your problem, MadMapper doesn't import vector shapes.
    MadMapper works with RGBA pixels. For vectors to be imported into MM, they need to be converted as pixels,
    and the process is called rasterization. We don't have a rasterizer, so far.

But you can rasterize your vectors yourself !!!!
    Using Illustrator and export them as RGBA images.
    To make a mask out of them, export using an alpha channel (the A in RGBA).
    Good formats for alpha'ed images are PNG files (save as 32bit, 24bits for RGB + 8 bits for Alpha).
    In MadMapper, use the blend mode "over" or "over premultiplied".
    You can now composite your bitmap masks over something...

If you own Modul8, you can even make one big composition with your bitmap logo mask and all your media side by side.
    Then in MadMapper composite your mask over each of your surface...

Understanding the general principles behind MadMapper is probably the key to solving your problem.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 am

It's true that I'm still trying to fully understand the paradigm behind MM and I appreciate your answer. I understand the difference between vector and raster art. Also, I do think I understand that I can import a bitmap mask and apply that. However, I think perhaps the way I should have stated my question is: what, if any, advantage does this offer over doing the same thing in Modul8 (e.g. Either with a layer or by using something like the global mask module)?

At this point (and for this particular use) iit seems to me that this is, at best, there is no advantage, and at worst, it is LESS flexible. (Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the program, just trying to learn). Thanks in advance for your replies!
    DJ G Mint

gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:48 am

Just to make it clear what I'm doing (and I'm currently doing it with Modul8, not MadMapper), see the following image. I'm projecting video the Lime letters with video...

LimeNYE-31-111231JC.jpg
    LimeNYE-31-111231JC.jpg (116.45 KiB) Viewed 12227 times
    DJ G Mint

• franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 pm

This is definetly doable with MM.
    For such a simple mapping, you can also do it with M8 for sure.
    Both applications are complimentary, not opposed.

The advantage of MM is the ability to have unlimited amount of surfaces, grid warps, circles ... and so on.
    For your particular point - mapping just one logo from a single projector - both applications can handle your setup.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Franz,

Thanks for your reply. I'd suspected as much. Still, can you tell me (briefly) how you'd go about doing this mask in MM? I understand the bitmap approach, however that seems to me to take away the advantage of using MM at all. In my mind, the advantage of using MM for something like this would be that I could make small adjustments to the mask without having to edit the mask in a seperate program (e.g. Photoshop).
    DJ G Mint

• franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 am

first picture : in photoshop (or after effects, or in modul8 with video)
    your mask + your content, with alpha, saved as png (or any format preserving alpha)

second picture: in madmapper, 2 quads...

lime.jpg
    lime.jpg (170.34 KiB) Viewed 12188 times
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 am

and the 2nd pic:

liimeMM.jpg
    liimeMM.jpg (125.2 KiB) Viewed 12188 times
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks for the illustrated tutorial :D I may give MM another shot, though not likely on this particular project (I'm also running another three projectors to do a bar top--not shown in the photo)...
    DJ G Mint

• scaryxpuppy
    activ8 member

by scaryxpuppy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:38 am

I think Franz has covered this perfectly - I am doing a very similar thing, and with an iPad control interface set up as well, I can make minor tweaks easily on the fly, rather than having to re-mask or re-map every time.

I would still use Modul8 for source material (although personally I use VDMX) and let MadMapper work it's magic.

For bar coverage, or additional surfaces, again MadMapper would seem to be the perfect, and actually much easier choice.

Keep plodding on through with it - it really is worth the effort once you've got your head around it.

Phil
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:41 am

scaryxpuppy wrote:For bar coverage, or additional surfaces, again MadMapper would seem to be the perfect, and actually much easier choice

It might be, except for the lack of multiscreen output!
    DJ G Mint

• scaryxpuppy
    activ8 member

by scaryxpuppy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:49 am

I use a TH2G cardvand get 3 x HD surfaces projected with no major jitters. They're quite reasonably priced and allow for great flexibility. I have one projector doing similar to you permanently and 2 that I use "mobile" dependent on requirements all run off the 1 Mac.

Clever piece of software !!
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:54 am

scaryxpuppy wrote:I use a TH2G cardvand get 3 x HD surfaces projected with no major jitters. They're quite reasonably priced and allow for great flexibility. I have one projector doing similar to you permanently and 2 that I use "mobile" dependent on requirements all run off the 1 Mac.

Clever piece of software !!

It is, and I have one that I use for a different application. However, here, I have a total of 5 projectors installed (four on the bar, one on the logo)...
    DJ G Mint

• scaryxpuppy
    activ8 member

by scaryxpuppy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:59 am

Cool - what Mac & Graphics card are you running to do that??? When I go above 3 outputs, I have to use an extra Mac with playback synced over MIDI - be great to know an easier workaround.

Ta

Phil
  • scaryxpuppy
    activ8 member

by scaryxpuppy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:33 am

........ also, is that all off Modul8??? Hmm.... might be worth me switching if it supports 5 x Output !