Synchronisation + Multiprojektion
  • g8_member

Synchronisation + Multiprojektion

by g8_member » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:47 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm right in the MadMapper Forum, but I think some of you had the same problem before.

I want to project on a huge sculpture and want to use 3 projectors for that.

Assuming I have 3 videotextures in HD (prepared in After Effects based on the UV Map of the sculpture). Of course, all videos have the same lenght.
    Now, I want to map each of the videos with Module8 + MadMapper. I don't want to use only one computer with a matrox tripple head2go, because of the performance. Instead I want to use a computer for each video. But how can I synch the videos? Is it possible to do that with module8? Or does somebody knows an work around maybe without using module8? I only want to play the videos, I don't need to manipultate them.
  • rgbeat

Re: Synchronisation + Multiprojektion

by rgbeat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 am

Hi,

M8 has a module call network and you can sync i think more than 3 computers, i used couple of times but just for fun and it works OK.

I hope it helps :wink:
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi,
    my advice would be to composite all 3 movies into one -since they have the same length -
    and project using a triple head from one computer.
    With a SSD drive - or a good movie compression ratio - the performance will be better.

If you don't scrub the movies, and play them at 1:1 speed,
    even a temporal codec such as H264 will be good.
    Or try pro res 422.

And play the movie directly from MadMapper (no need for modul8 in that case)
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:20 am

well, sync is very tricky
    its almost impossible to get 3 separate machines to lockstep, though its quite simple to trigger them all at the same time.

so if you clips are short, they wont have time to drift, but you'll find that over say, ten minutes you'll get noticeable drift no matter what system you use.
    the only affordable way to do this, is to run all the clips from one machine, ideally from one file.
    M8 isnt really designed for these kinds of tasks, although it is ideal for the single clip/triple head solution.

but what you can do with M8 is trigger 3 machines with MIDI