How much lumens do I really need?
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

How much lumens do I really need?

by AgentD » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 am

Hi,

I've been asked to do a mapping projection onto a wall of an old church which is about 38m x 12m. My plan is to use two projectors. There will be some ambient lights but I don't think it'll be much so the projection are will be reasonably dark. I would like to know how much lumens do I really need to for each projector. Someone told me that 2 x 10,000 lumens projectors would be enough but I found some web site to calculate suggested lumens and according to this web site I would need at least 30,000 lumens each. The budget is limited so I need to know what lumens would be realistically "acceptable". I will really appreciate any suggestions and tips. Thanks a bunch in advance!

AD
    NateMac
    activ8 member

Re: How much lumens do I really need?

by NateMac » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 pm

I would assume if the budget is limited, that your budget would drive your projection rental rather then "what is needed".

http://vimeo.com/54906178
    This was a test we did with a single 10,000* lumen 1080p projector (*rated at 10, closer to 7.5/8)
    This was outdoors with very low light, and until it got that dark, it really didn't look that good.
    (this was also 20'x47.5' tall projection)

Good luck buddy.