New to MadMapper - A few basic questions
  • thudlike

New to MadMapper - A few basic questions

by thudlike » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:52 am

I recently bought Madmapper (Beta 1.4) and Modul8 (2.6.5). For a test, I did a spacial scan of some random objects on a table. I cleaned up some of the noise in the scan image, colored background green. Using Modul8 - I created a series of layers using various .mov and QT files from the Media Set.
    In Madmapper I created 5 or more surface areas to project onto. Turning Syphon on, I can see the movies within the surface areas - and I can change the content by clicking on different layers in Modul8.
    1. Is it possible to assign different layers in M8 to the various Surface Areas in MM - to have multiple images/movies in these different areas?
    In the tutorials I see it is possible to utilize different areas of the same graphic - via Mad Doubler, etc - but no info on changing surface area input sources to other media sources , creating a video collage, multiple inputs.

2. An even dumber newbie question. How would I go about using the green background area as a separate projection area. Do I somehow make, invert, and import a mask of the scene using Photoshop? Background projection, on the (green) wall behind the table....

Most appreciative on any tips, links, etc - as I've been stymied by this (probably very simple) conundrum for far too long.
    Much obliged!
    Attachments
    test444441xxraw223 greencopy.png
    test444441xxraw223 greencopy.png (194.21 KiB) Viewed 10987 times
    NateMac
    activ8 member

Re: New to MadMapper - A few basic questions

by NateMac » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:09 pm

It takes some pre-production to figure out where you want everything to go, mostly you want to figure out your aspect ratios of your surfaces. then fit them into the final output.
    I did a make-shift of what I did for a test. Now mine was all done in After Effects and then just played in MM. You could do the same thing in M8, with multiple videos and images, just figure out your template ahead of time.

My original set-up
  • thudlike

by thudlike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:33 am

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    NateMac - Thanks for the response. I'll have to read it again more closely, but some quick questions
    Aspect Ratios: I read somewhere that it's best to match the screen aspect ratio to the Native Resolution of the projector.
    I'm using a Viewsonic PJD6531w DLP XGA Projector (WXGA (1280 x 800) Native Resolution). Should I set the Aspect Ratio to 16:9 or 16:10?
    I'm projecting onto an interior wall: the canvas frame/projection screen I built covers the entire wall.

What do you mean by template? From your screen shot it looks like you've created a palate of image/video clips from which you can select individual quads for output. I've seen several tutorials showing how to select images off a 'palate' - but can't figure out how to make this palate/template. I can assign images to layers via the media set, but how/where would I create this palate/canvas? With After Effects? (I have After Effects CS5)

Thanks!
    NateMac
    activ8 member

by NateMac » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:51 am

Aspect Ratios: I read somewhere that it's best to match the screen aspect ratio to the Native Resolution of the projector.
    I'm using a Viewsonic PJD6531w DLP XGA Projector (WXGA (1280 x 800) Native Resolution). Should I set the Aspect Ratio to 16:9 or 16:10?

I would choose the native resolution, but honestly I was shooting at 1280x720 even though my projector could do 800. Just because that's how I chose to work. Just make sure whatever your projector is set to, is the same output you have MM in the settings.
    When I'm saying Aspec Ratio, I'm talking about for each of your surfaces. Now mine was a bit more easy, because they where all squares or rectangles. So mine where 16:9, 1:1, & 2:1. I then using After Effects, created a project with different compositions at aspect ratios matching each surface. Once I cut my video together, I moved each composition on a spaced out single compositons. So everyone one of my surfaces was on a single piece of video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5db82k5fI

Check out the above tutorial, It's pretty close to what you want to do.
    It will show you how to make a single video file in M8 out of many video clips to send to MM.
    Goodluck, let us know how it goes.
  • thudlike

by thudlike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks, the video addressed a bunch of questions for me. I appreciate the tips!
  • amros123

by amros123 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:33 pm

that was quite helpeful