3D illusion workflow
  • TRMTRM

3D illusion workflow

by TRMTRM » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi.
    I cannot seem to get my head around the workflow for doing mapping with 3d illusion. Say you have a structure (like one or several cubes) and you want to make it appear as if smaller cubes are extruded from one of its sides.
    I've used the spacial scanner and modelled the "cube" in a 3D software, animated the extruded cubes and alligned the virtual camera with the projector but no matter what I do the end result appears flat and not at all convincing.
    Would be very gratefull if someone could help me with the workflow for this (what one should do and what one should not do).

Any help much appreciated :)
  • TRMTRM

Re: 3D illusion workflow

by TRMTRM » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:05 am

Could the keystone of my projector have anything to do with the 3D appearing flat?
    NateMac
    activ8 member

by NateMac » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:35 pm

3D illusion is all about perspective, look at where you have your 3D camera in space and that is where you need to match to stand. When doing 3D illusion you can't use multiple camera. You can only use one and it will only work in a single place.

This is an illusion I created in our shop, not what your trying to do, but it will show you how much perspective matters.
    http://vimeo.com/54027107

Heres the break down
    http://vimeo.com/55624601
  • TRMTRM

by TRMTRM » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks for the help NateMac!
    From what I could see in the breakdown you use camera projection in C4D to project the illusion from where you want the audience to stand, on to a virtual floor and then render that out from the perspective of the projector (hanging from the truck). Is that right?
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:26 pm

NateMac
    activ8 member

by NateMac » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:21 am

TRMTRM wrote:Thanks for the help NateMac!
    From what I could see in the breakdown you use camera projection in C4D to project the illusion from where you want the audience to stand, on to a virtual floor and then render that out from the perspective of the projector (hanging from the truck). Is that right?

That's correct. In this example their are '2' Render Passes.
    First there is what we will call the Spectator Real Pass. I placed a 5ft wide by 9ft depth (16:9 Aspect Ratio surface) Surface on the ground.
    (This could be anything that you are projecting on, I chose this flat surface and side to get the most out of my projection.)
    Then I created a camera that was 10ft away from the edge and 68" high looking at a downward angle at the Surface. This is my person & my Spectator Camera. At this position in the real world, the illusion will work.
    I then created my animation on top of the created Surface. The key here is that from the Spectator Camera point-of-view, looking at the Surface, the illusion can not pass the edges of the Surface. This is your window, anything that is above, below, left or right of the Surface when viewed from the Spectator Camera, will not be seen.
    After you have created your animation you will render the 3D animation from the POV of the Spectator Camera.
    You are halfway there.
    Now that we've created the animation, the Spectator Camera will become the Projection Mapping Camera. You will now use that camera to project your render animation onto the Empty Surface.
    --- Please be sure to lock this camera down, if it moves slightly, the illusion will fail ----
    With your Projection Mapping Camera projecting your animation onto the surface, from that same POV you should see your 3D illusion, even though it being projected onto the Flat Surface.
    Here's where the real magic comes, create a new camera in space as to where your Real World Projector will be. Be sure to get the Surface all in frame and keep your measurements handy. Hopfully your animation that looked pretty and 3D from the Projection Mapping Camera's POV, looks all skewed and funny looking. This is Good.
    Finally record the 3D skewed animation of the Surface from your Real World Projector camera, and your done.
    Set up your real scene in the world, Your Projector where your Real World Projector's camera was and stand where the Spectator Camera/Projection Mapping Camera was and watch your fo-3D.
  • shmulikf

by shmulikf » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the great explanations.
    Where does the MadMapper comes in to this workflow?
    I've been struggling with making this illusion on a corner.

Thanks,
    Shmulik