MadMapper demo & Structured Scan -- Possible?
  • eight_io

MadMapper demo & Structured Scan -- Possible?

by eight_io » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:24 am

I am looking to buy Madmapper specifically for a project where I intend to use the structured scan feature. I just ran the demo (using that tutorial where guy talks more about making cocktails than the steps he is doing, such a cowboy!), and this is the picture I ended up with:

Most of the menu buttons seem to be disabled.

So the question is -- [s]what am I looking at[/s] -- is a Madmapper demo capable of running a full Structured Scan -- Mapping cycle like described in that cowboy tut with a gnome?

If yes, what are my steps after I hit the picture above?

How do I get the picture of the object out of Madmapper Demo (remember all menu items are disabled) for further editing?

Do I need to make a picture of the object myself outside of MadMapper?

How do I tell Madmapper to use the calibration it just performed?

Thanks, everybody!

• franz
    madMapper master

Re: MadMapper demo & Structured Scan -- Possible?

by franz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 am

Hi,
    MadMapper demo can scan, however the scan resolution is limited to 1/4 th of the full size scan, and you cannot save the picture.
    But the function is there, so that you're able to check if your camera is compatible.

The picture you ended up with seems totally correct, but looks bad because (either one or more possibilities):
    - you didn't set the settings right regarding your scene.
    - your scene is too bright
    - your scene is a reflective surface
    - your point of view/scene ratio is too high: try adjust your view so that it fits as much as possible the object/scene you're trying to scan.

Try to start using these "optimal" settings for your camera:
    f 2.8
    1/60 s
    iso 100
    photo quality High, size S
    full manual mode
    autofocus OFF

Then check that you have NO ambient lighting in your scene.
    Use a tripod
    Use a descent USB cable (best with a ferrite node at one end), not too long (2m max)

(maybe you already know all of these, but it might be useful to other users...)
  • eight_io

by eight_io » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:34 pm

franz wrote:Hi,
    MadMapper demo can scan, however the scan resolution is limited to 1/4 th of the full size scan, and you cannot save the picture.
    But the function is there, so that you're able to check if your camera is compatible.

The picture you ended up with seems totally correct, but looks bad because (either one or more possibilities):
    - you didn't set the settings right regarding your scene.
    - your scene is too bright
    - your scene is a reflective surface
    - your point of view/scene ratio is too high: try adjust your view so that it fits as much as possible the object/scene you're trying to scan.

Try to start using these "optimal" settings for your camera:
    f 2.8
    1/60 s
    iso 100
    photo quality High, size S
    full manual mode
    autofocus OFF

Then check that you have NO ambient lighting in your scene.
    Use a tripod
    Use a descent USB cable (best with a ferrite node at one end), not too long (2m max)

(maybe you already know all of these, but it might be useful to other users...)

Hi franz,

I am using the settings you specified, tripod, cable etc. The question is can I do the full cycle Structure Scan and Mapping with the demo version? Yes or no? So far, I believe the answer is no. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

• franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:16 am

As I said, the Scan Resolution is limited to 1/4 of its original size, and you cannot save the picture.
    So the answer is NO.
    (or else some - a lot ?- of people would just use the demo version to scan)