Madmapper / chamsys, artnet problems
  • Edhlighting

Madmapper / chamsys, artnet problems

by Edhlighting » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 pm

This is my first post to this forum. I have found a lot of good information here. So I hope there is a simple issue I am facing. I know my way around projection mapping, and some dmx lighting. But mapping the LEDs and has been an issue for me to make happen. So I will give a quick overview of our project, explain where I think the issue may be. Please shoot out any helpful knowledge. Thanks in advance.

My boss and I went about constructing and installing a lighting rig. It has a 5 fixture front wash, 6 pixel pars , and 5 banks of LEDs we built, and 3 lazers. Right now we have everything controlled from a chamsys touchscreen lighting desk. The LEDs we built have one centerpiece with 16 vertical bars. The 4 other things(we are calling the banks)hang with 8 horizontal bars. At this point we have these banks and the centerpiece running(and pixel mapped) in chamsys with their media server(we are still figuring this out as well).

Now I want video stretched across our LEDs, as well as the rest of the lighting rig( all other fixtures are mappable). So we got a Mac mini running vdmx siphoned into madmapper then mapped in mad light. With other projector in the club mapped in madmapper also. At this point I have madmapper 1.6 beta but I haven't seen any light from my Mac mini straight to the brains for my bars. Artnet straight to the brains, they were not receiving packages. I thought, well I don't have the enter USB to dmx donegal, but I thought if I was coming out of my Mac artnet the I could go into my brains for my LEDs. So we had it hooked into chamsys to merge the artnet. We saw info coming into chamsys, but our merge never work correctly. So once again I haven't seen anything from Mac mini hitting my LEDs yet, and at this point am dont know where to trouble shoot first I am assuming its an ip based problem but really am not sure.
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Madmapper / chamsys, artnet problems

by franz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:54 pm

is your mac mini in the same IP range as the chamsys ?
    typically for art net it should be in the 10.x.x.x or 2.x.x.x ip range. However it should work in any range provided your mac and the chamsys share the same range.
    Submask should be 255.0.0.0 in that case.

What is the graphics card of your mac min ? DMX won't work with intel HD 3000 gfx cards.

Try first to plug your computer + art net box to only one fixture and make it work. Proceed step by step ...
  • mgmLighting

by mgmLighting » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi there

Unfortunately I'm facing some problems with madmapper and chamsys MagicQPC using artNet. I'm tryng to controll madmapper on a mac Pro from chamsys running on a different laptop. The IPs and subnet mask should be correct (IPs: 2.0.0.10 and 2.0.0.20, subnet mask: 255.0.0.0) and pinging the computers works fine. However as soon as chamsys starts to send data (even all zeros) / madmapper receives data over the artNet, madmapper crashes. On madmapper I only setup the DMX input through artNet in the preferences. Am I doing something terribly wrong or have you experienced similar problems?

I contacted the support people, but perhaps one of you guys has a great idea. Thank you very much for helping!!!
    Best regards.
  • charli_e

by charli_e » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Hello,
    I was checking about to how to connect to MQ100Pro with Madmapper and I found a relevant issue about MagicQPC in the chamsys forum that I guess should be notice in this post.

Unfortunately I'm facing some problems with madmapper and chamsys MagicQPC using artNet.

In the chamsys forum they talk about issues using DMX with MagicQPC.[1]

Then at least this could work for Magic Consoles like MQ100Pro or MQ200PRo. Has anyone had successful results with any of them?

[1] https://secure.chamsys.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=730

Cheers
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:36 am

if you set MAdMApper to receive DMX input, be sure to de-activate MadMApper's DMX output (set it to None)
    Does that fix your problem ?