Madmapper Best Efficient Practices w/ Syphon & VDMX
  • ProjectileObjects
    activ8 member

Madmapper Best Efficient Practices w/ Syphon & VDMX

by ProjectileObjects » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:54 am

Hello, I'm seeking some knowledgable advices about best practices when using madmapper. Typically I use VDMX to control and remix visuals that are then fed into Madmapper via Syphon. I have noticed that playback and functionality is smooth at first but after a few hours the computer starts having difficulties dealing with the workload. The computer is about as fast as it can get for a macbook pro, so I am assuming there must be some smarter methods to projection mapping large and complex stages? Example: Does it make more sense to create two layers to bend an image around a corner or would you use a single layer with mesh warping? What is least GPU, CPU intensive?

Thanks, I have some large events coming up and would like to refrain from purchasing a Mac Pro.

Side note: I will be running the macbook pro with cooling pads and extra ventilation during all future gigs, to stop heat performance issues.
  • ProjectileObjects
    activ8 member

Re: Madmapper Best Efficient Practices w/ Syphon & VDMX

by ProjectileObjects » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Just as an update for anyone who is interested. I now run VDMX on my laptop for VJing, and use a Black Magic mini recorder to pipe my signal into a 27" iMac that handles all of the mapping with Madmapper. I can also pass it from VDMX to Madmapper on the imac for additional effects, but this setup seems to be perfect for the the most intensive VJ & Projection Mapping setups. (Side note, only limitation is that the mini recorder is locked in at standard broadcast resolutions, such as 1920x1080 and will not except a 1920x1200 signal which is standard to WUXGA and most of my 6k+ projectors.
  • Xaver2k
    super8 member

by Xaver2k » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:20 am

i also have the blackmagic intensity shuttle USB3.0. but it´s not so comfortable cause it has many problems with usb drivers and very incopatibility to the input source...
    now i trying with a magewell xi100dusb-hdmi, this here http://www.magewell.com/hardware/dongle ... ml?lang=en
    it can captures up to 1920*1200p/60Frames, you don´t need any drivers and it work with USB3.0 and USB 2.0 (lower resolution and framerate but it works)
  • pawel22

by pawel22 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:13 pm

you have to wait for the better drivers