LED Scanner in MM 2.0?
    broken
    super8 member

LED Scanner in MM 2.0?

by broken » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Anyone have this working?

I only get "Could not start any camera device" when trying with my Canon T2i ..

When plugging in my camera the OSX camera/photos app pops up showing the contents of my SD card

Can't seem to find any documentation on this feature, or what's required other than:

" New LED Scanner: auto address LED pixels or line fixtures using any camera!"
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: LED Scanner in MM 2.0?

by mad-matt » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 am

Hi,
    For the moment MM 2.0 LED Scanner uses cameras. You can use any device that appears as a camera in MM but no the Canon. We'll try to integrate Canon in spatial scanner in final release.
    Cheers,
    Matthieu - MM team
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks for the reply Matthieu. I'll have to borrow a camera from someone as all mine are Canon! doh!

So is the LED Scanner basically a different type of spatial scanner?

cheers
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:25 pm

It will be the same in final release: camera & canon. It is different because it's scanning LEDs and creating fixtures for it. It can create pixel fixtures (1x1) or lines (Nx1 or 1xN). It doesn't handle 2 dimensions fixtures for now. but anyway, if you have 2 dimensions fixtures (ie blocks of 16x16 pixels), you won't have tons of it so it's shouldn't be long to patch it manually.
    Cheers !
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Okay, thanks so much for the info. I've been building some custom led panels and this all sounds very handy!

Unfortunately you might want to add Pentax cameras to the list of ones that don't work as well. I tried a Optio WG-2 borrowed and it pops up the photo app when I plug it in, but Madmapper still reports not being able to start any camera device.

I'll see if I can borrow another brand to try again tomorrow!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:27 am

MadMapper supports VIDEO cameras and Canon EOS for spatial scanner. It will be the same for LED scanner.
    We can't integrate everything on earth so we'll limit the high res picture camera to Canon EOS.
    But basically any camera that can be opened with QuickTime can be used, + BlackMagic capture devices in 2.0.
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Ahh.. VIDEO cameras.. I honestly had no clue until you mentioned it... Just been plugging away trying to figure out all the new features with no documentation lol

guess I'll set this aside for now. thanks for the info & sorry about the unnecessary posts..

wish we had a better idea about how all the new features work. I spent a lot of trial & error getting my led lighting running when madlight was added not knowing what hardware or config to use
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Sure, we should do more doc/tutorials. Thanks for your feedback !