Dual Thunderbolt Ports & Projectors
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

Dual Thunderbolt Ports & Projectors

by CaseyJScalf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:20 pm

I have been having some problems using the new Mac computers that have dual thunderbolt ports.

I am assuming I can run a projector out of each right? So two projectors, one in each thunderbolt.

However, in practice, they do not always auto-setup and configure correctly. In fact, when I open up displays in system preferences I sometimes do not see the second projector.

Why is this? Is there a tool or workflow I need to use to take advantage of this?

My end goal is to use x2 Matrox Triple Heads with a Mac Mini to get x6 projectors total.

Any tips or pointers would be great! Thank you
    sigmasix
    master

Re: Dual Thunderbolt Ports & Projectors

by sigmasix » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:50 am

by default when you connect a display to your mac it's setup as mirrored, you have to uncheck mirroring each time you connect a new display
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

by CaseyJScalf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Thanks for the reply:

1) I have checked those setting first. The thing is it does not even populate the system preferences with a second projector so this does not work.

2) The projector never registers. It just stays in the menu mode prior to finding a source.

3) I have tried this with a MacBook Pro, and x2 Mac Minis - all with dual thunderbolt.

4) I have tried this with new cables, adapters, and in different ports.

What I have found is that only one port will select a projector.

I feel that with dual thunderbolts this should work. I also feel that dual monitors are popular enough that someone would have encountered this by now also.

Any thoughts?
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:03 am

ok, you tried everything I could think of… it's strange, I never experienced this…

Did you try different cable/adapter brand? I know DeLock is a real troublemaker, avoid this brand like hell!
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

by CaseyJScalf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:02 pm

@Sigmasix, can you say that this DOES work for you?

I am using all official Apple adapters (Thunderbolt to VGA).

I would imagine it should just auto configure. I will post video soon if this doesn't resolve itself.
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

by CaseyJScalf » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:05 am

Before I make a youtube video showing how I am not able to run dual projectors out of dual thunderbolt ports has anybody tried this?

I would be very surprised if, given this community, no one has had any experience with connecting two projectors, one to each thunderbolt port.

Thank you sincerely for any insight!
  • Thelooca

by Thelooca » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:22 pm

I've got this working, 2 thunderbolts, each to a monitor (dvi) and the hdmi to a triplehead. Try testing with different projectors aswell, i've also had the issue of not being recognised but if i restarted it was ok. If you hook up everything first and then start your macbook, you should have no problem.
  • barneyb

by barneyb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:15 am

i know i had a problem with the apple adapters, something to do with active or not. in my case not more the 2 projectors worked. then i switched to active Mini display port to HDMi from Startech and i could use all 6 outputs over thunderbolt (aka mini display port)