arduino mega and led strip
  • mobyblack

arduino mega and led strip

by mobyblack » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Hello,
    I try to fallow the led-teensy tutorial,
    My configuration is an arduino mega 2560 and strip led WS2812B
    It's works on the Fast-LED-simple-test, but when I try the FastLED-seril-only-single-line I can't found nothing in the preference > DMX output > Out led Device. Is there a way to detect the arduino in the out led device ?

I try many thing since two days, and I'm a bit desperate ...

Thx for help
  • mobyblack

Re: arduino mega and led strip

by mobyblack » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:08 am

Hello again,

I steel lock, but I think the matter come from the usb serial or configuration about network.
    Even in another soft I can't found the arduino (like Usine).
    I try with an old mac and it's been dectected.
    Can it be possible yosemite making problem ? I had alredy this kind of problem with LxConsole and my enttec MK2 when i've been on yosemite.

Thanks for Helping
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:07 pm

I suppose your arduino is using the FTDI chipset for USB-serial. And you might have installed the FTDI D2XX driver, then the FTDI VCP driver (shipped with OSX) is deactivated and MM and many applications can't see it.
    You can use this free application to switch from one driver to another: http://macdownload.informer.com/ftdidrivercontrol/
    (and activate the "Serial FTDI driver)
    Let me know if it fixed.

I guarantee the LED Control with our arduino patch will work fine with a teensy 3.1, but I don't guarantee it will work with an Arduino Mega. I bought one for testing but some bytes were lost in the serial communication. I really depends on the model, which USB-serial component is installed in it etc.
  • mobyblack

by mobyblack » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Thanks for your answer,
    It's steel not working

I already install this application when go to yosemite (I've had this problem whith LxConsole before)
    I steel working on, the advencement is now I reconise my arduino-mega on the network preference as a modem !?
    but I can't configure it or connect it.

Any way I've just order a teensy, hope i receive tomorrow,

If you see other way I take

thx
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Which version of MadMapper are you using ?
    I added some vendor IDs at some point. To recognize if a USB-serial device is an arduino, we check the vendor ID of the USB device. If using MadMapper 2.2.5 doesn't help, please send me the exact model of your arduino device, we might need to add some vendor/product IDs in the list of arduino hardwares.
  • mobyblack

by mobyblack » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:00 am

I'm using the MM2.2.5
    And my device is Arduino mega 2560 V3E from Arduino the basic one
  • mobyblack

by mobyblack » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:35 am

Hello,

This mornig i plug, unplug, retry ... and MM foud my arduino. I realy don't know how. It's a mystery... Configuration and code still the same.

But It's not so simple? there is no communcation between the arduino and MM the fonctionnement led don't show nothing;
    It's problem on problem

Hop with the teensy will be easier
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:13 am

Yes, with teensy ther's no problem.
    If you have the time and really want to debug the communication with the teensy, there's a #define to activate error logging, MadMapper will log in the Console any error message written on the serial port by the arduino patch. But well, from my experience, as soon as you write data on the serial port at high rate, bytes are lost on the arduino side (depending on the arduino USB-serial chipset). So I wouldn't loose time and get a teensy for 20$ ;-)
  • Xaver2k
    super8 member

by Xaver2k » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:31 am

Hey, i also used an Arduino Mega for some smaller projects. But i used it via Artnet with an ethernet shield on the arduino and with this configuration i had no problems with communication or controlling.
    i used this tutorial:
    http://www.deskontrol.net/blog/arduino-based-artnet-node-for-led-pixels/

mad-matt what can a teensy handle??
    An teensy might be cheaper and much more powerful the Arduino Mega can handle 2 Universes.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:37 pm

With the teensy controller by MadMapper 2.2 through USB, I tested 10 meters of 144 RGB LEDs, so 1440 LEDs * 3 channels = 4320 bytes at 60 FPS. This is the equivalent of 9 DMX universes.
    That was a test, but in a real stage configuration, I would use an Advatek Pixelite (http://www.advateklights.com/pixlite-control/). It has fuses on each output, and since anyway, each 300 LEDs you have to reinject power, it's no a big deal to have more data wires. One output controls up to 340 LEDs (2 ArtNet universes). And it's not exapsive.
    Teensy is great for small installations, workshops, profiling LEDs at home/office...
  • mobyblack

by mobyblack » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:19 am

thanks for the support

I recive the tennsy this afternoon !!! And the communction beetween the led and MadMap start..

But I have many flickering and I loose some colors, I can't arrive to have a propery black on them...
    It's a hell.

If you have a solution for fix it, It's will be amazing.

Anyway for the reply before, yes it's just a test, we start making interactive table for a theatre show.
    If the led try is concluant we gonna buy some more professionnal harware.

Thx
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:07 pm

What LED Strips are you using ?
    What protocol ? (WS2811 ? APA102 ?)
    Have you followed the tutorial we provided ? Latest arduino patches versions & doc: [url]http://www.madmapper.com/download/madlab/MadMapper_LED_Tutorial_files.zip
    [/url]
    Setting the right protocol in the arduino patch is very important.
  • mobyblack

by mobyblack » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm using WS 2812b,

Yes I"m following the good tutorial, with good protocole.

I'm stress and tired, we finish the residence, with many other matter...
    I give up. I gonna retry in one or two weeks quietly at home

thanks for support I give more news when I retry
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Check your power supply. If you use a teensy, the data line is 3.3V but LED strips generally needs 5V. In most case it's not a problem but it depends how long your wires are from your teensy to the end of your LED strip.
    If you try with a small strip, ie 10 LEDs, does it work ? It's a good way to eliminate power issues
  • sebastienl

by sebastienl » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:33 pm

mad-matt wrote:Which version of MadMapper are you using ?
    I added some vendor IDs at some point. To recognize if a USB-serial device is an arduino, we check the vendor ID of the USB device. If using MadMapper 2.2.5 doesn't help, please send me the exact model of your arduino device, we might need to add some vendor/product IDs in the list of arduino hardwares.

Hi Mad-Matt,

I'm currently running into the same problem. I've loaded the code onto the arduino and still can't find it in the Output settings. I'm running an Arduino Mega 2560 r3. Any luck sorting this out from the software side?

Cheers,