arduino mega and led strip
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: arduino mega and led strip

by mad-matt » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Which version of MM ?
    MM filters the devices with VendorID / ProductID but depending on arduino constructor, this changes. Sometimes that's an FTDI chip, sometimes not... It's hard to know.
    Anyway we don't do support for arduinos, the usb port is not reliable anyway. Use a teensy 3.1 or later, it's very reliable, has been tested a lot, and fully supported, and 15$
  • Martin King

by Martin King » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:13 pm

mad-matt wrote:Which version of MM ?
    MM filters the devices with VendorID / ProductID but depending on arduino constructor, this changes. Sometimes that's an FTDI chip, sometimes not... It's hard to know.
    Anyway we don't do support for arduinos, the usb port is not reliable anyway. Use a teensy 3.1 or later, it's very reliable, has been tested a lot, and fully supported, and 15$

I know this is an old thread but can madmapper talk to more than one Teensy over USB at a time if I wanted to split the load between them. Also how many dotstar (APA102 chipset) LED's can a Teensy 3.2 comfortably/smoothly drive from Madmapper ?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi,

Yes you can use multiple teensies !
    The bigger test I did with teensy is 10 meters of 144 pixels/meter RGB at 60 FPS (from Modul8 Syphon to the LED, all 60 FPS). So it's 1440 RGB Leds, so 4320 values 60 times per second, so 258 kbps. So it's far below usb speed of teensy (on Teensy 3.1, USB always runs at 12 Mbit/sec)
    I don't remember exactly, but at some point FPS dropped, I don't know if that's because of the Fast LED configuration. I know I had reduced to 2 MHz the APA102 here:
    FastLED.addLeds<APA102, DATA_PIN_LINE0, CLOCK_PIN_LINE0, RGB, DATA_RATE_MHZ(2)>(leds_line0, NUM_LEDS_LINE0);
    Maybe spreading over multiple teensy pins would have solved.
    I don't remember exactly why. I think at 12 MHz I had a issue.

Anyway, for a big setup, and in a lot of configuration, a LED controller (like Advatek Pixelite) is better. And you don't risk to burn your USB port if you plug the wrong cable at the wrong place...

Cheers