New Generators and Materials
  • renaud
    activ8 member

New Generators and Materials

by renaud » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi,

I really appreciate the new generators and materials features.
    I didn't found any guide about generators and materials format, sorry if I didn't found if there is already one

Can we add custom gen and mat files? I tried to drag and drop .fs files in the interface but it does not work (dragging a fs file will not add the fs file to the mat or gen.

I tried to duplicate a material folder (Line Anim) in the MM package, but the duplicated material does not appear in the material list.

Is there something I'm missing

best

renaud
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: New Generators and Materials

by mad-matt » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi,
    We're working at making materials editing public. Duplicating a folder works but you have to add manually your home made materials by clicking the "+" button next to "Materials" category. MadMapper by default creates one instance of each material, but you can create more, with different settings (and Cmd+D for duplicating)
    Cheers
  • renaud
    activ8 member

by renaud » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you Matt for the quick answer.

I didn't found the little "+". Now it works, thanks.

It is more than promising, I love these new features !!

best,

renaud
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:38 am

Instead of messing in the application bundle, you can add your materials in:
    /Users/MyAccount/Library/Application Support/Garagecube/MadMapper/Materials/

(In the Finder, access your Library folder by holding alt while clicking on the Go menu)
  • renaud
    activ8 member

by renaud » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 am

Thank you Pierre, that's usefull !
  • robflate

by robflate » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Are these .fs files unique to MadMapper? I tried dropping a few in VDMX but they don't work?

Thanks.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 am

Yes, it is make so the same file works with Quad, Circle, Triangle, Lines, Surface 3D, so the code of the Material is combined with specific surface type shader in MadMapper. This is very optimal this way, and provides higher quality. The other solution, to use standard ISF (http://interactiveshaderformat.com/) files would be to render it in a graphics card texture (for instance in 1920x1080) and then use it for the surface, but if my surface is 30x20 pixels on the screen, there is a big performance loss, and if my surface covers 3 Full HD screens, it will be blured. So we opted for rendering the Material directly with the surface, with the drawback of making incompatible files. Now you know all, not sure if it's easy to understand...
    We might support standard ISF files with a Generator in a future update.