Interactive wall with Madmapper?
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

Interactive wall with Madmapper?

by AgentD » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello!

I have been asked to create an interactive wall (about 3m x 4m) where the audience touches a certain part of the wall and the animation gets triggered at the spot as well as some sound. What I have found so far is that you can use Kinekt with Processing but I haven't found any example of such installation with Madmapper. If you have any thoughts, suggestions or links of tutorial etc I would really appreciate it. Thanks again!!

AD
  • titan44

Re: Interactive wall with Madmapper?

by titan44 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:16 am

I think you could achieve your goal with a combination of softwares ... Max 7 with syphon output for madmapper. For the human interface could be a camera directly with max 7. There you generate sounds.

Regards

AgentD wrote:

Hello!

I have been asked to create an interactive wall (about 3m x 4m) where the audience touches a certain part of the wall and the animation gets triggered at the spot as well as some sound. What I have found so far is that you can use Kinekt with Processing but I haven't found any example of such installation with Madmapper. If you have any thoughts, suggestions or links of tutorial etc I would really appreciate it. Thanks again!!

AD
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

by AgentD » Sun May 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Thank you for your response. I looked into Max 7 which is a great program but I am looking for something simpler in a sense that I don't need a computer generative image but just to control pre-rendered images. Please see the link below.

https://vimeo.com/121878247

Is it possible to do something like this with Processing? What would be the best way to control/trigger the Quicktime movie clips? Thanks a bunch in advance!

AD
  • titan44

by titan44 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Watching the video I think I understood what you are looking for.

During the first few seconds of that video I have seen that the technicians are working with some electronic boards ... so I'm afraid that at least for that part the interactive control will have to be for some movement sensor, weight load or some Another similar You should spend a lot of time researching the subject.

The truth is that the only thing I know about that matter is the Arduino microcontrollers. I've seen tutorials on how to control the VPT7 software with arduino.

So I think that through OSC messages you could control MadMapper without any problems.

On the other hand, I know there are short throw projectors that are interactive, but I think those use some kind of pen or pointer. I do not think this is the case.

I hope you find something that can help you. Be sure to notify us here;)

Greetings and I'm sorry I can not be of more help
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

by AgentD » Tue May 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm looking into some possibility with Kinect. i will keep you posted. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

AD
  • titan44

by titan44 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:16 am

Good luck, Man. That project looks pretty interesting. :)

AgentD wrote:I'm looking into some possibility with Kinect. i will keep you posted. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

AD
  • mashasha

by mashasha » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:19 pm

I was wondering if you have found the solution for your project? I have a similar question and was wondering how to go about it. Did u manage to use a Kinekt with madmapper?
    Thanks in advance
    M
    Hello!

AD
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:01 pm

You can use processing, Max or another software to treat sensors or other devices data and then start cues in MadMapper. MadMapper is fully controllable through OSC, MIDI, DMX etc.
  • mashasha

by mashasha » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Thank you.
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:58 am

I was wondering if you have found the solution for your project? I have a similar question and was wondering how to go about it. Did u manage to use a Kinekt with madmapper?
    Thanks in advance
    M
    Hello!

AD
    There are better sensors than a kinect for the example in the video.
    If the spots are that specific you could use peizo sensors/buttons to detect through the wood.

We did this once with a bench and tinfoil on the bottom through 2cm of wood was enough to detect someone sitting.
    So it was just a teensy and a bit of tinfoil a resistor and 2 cables.

There are very cheap sensors you could use that in most circumstances gives you a better and more stabile input as for instance a kinect would.