Trying to map one side of a cuboctahedron and can't do it
  • gabriel3374

Trying to map one side of a cuboctahedron and can't do it

by gabriel3374 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:40 am

Hello,

for a university project I'm trying to map one-half of a cuboctahedron, so 7 of the 14 sides. Here are some images: http://imgur.com/a/Bu6o8.

I found an object file online but Mad Mapper doesn't seem to be able to handle it. Here is the .obj-file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1MX5 ... VU4OFp4TWs and here is the .mtl-file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1MX5 ... UVaRUFUdDg that came with it.

Now when I try to import the object file into Mad Mapper, this is what I see: Image

Usually, on the left half of the screen, I see a fold-out version of the object, like a fold out cube which kind of looks like a "t". Mapping an image onto the cuboctahedron won't work, unfortunately.

So my questions are:

* How do I do this?
    * Do I need a different kind of file?
    * I have Maya installed, can this help me?
    * I also have Blender, could this help?
    * Should I use a different mapping application?

I'm thankful for any information or help.

Cheers!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Trying to map one side of a cuboctahedron and can't do i

by mad-matt » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:10 pm

MadMapper understands your file, but it will not handle a MTL file. MadMapper 3D Surface just uses the geometry (vertices) and UVs (also called texture coordinates or texels) of the OBJ file. The content to be displayed on it depends on your settings, but you can use an image, a movie, a syphon stream from another application. Or just use a white color and play with the MM Surface 3D lights, animating light position with MIDI or OSC.
    Anyway, I think what you want to do is to use an image or a movie on your object, and in this case it must be "baked" - cf "Texture Baking"
    For Blender: https://docs.blender.org/manual/es/dev/ ... /bake.html
    Hope this helps !
  • gabriel3374

by gabriel3374 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:01 pm

mad-matt wrote:MadMapper understands your file, but it will not handle a MTL file. MadMapper 3D Surface just uses the geometry (vertices) and UVs (also called texture coordinates or texels) of the OBJ file. The content to be displayed on it depends on your settings, but you can use an image, a movie, a syphon stream from another application. Or just use a white color and play with the MM Surface 3D lights, animating light position with MIDI or OSC.
    Anyway, I think what you want to do is to use an image or a movie on your object, and in this case it must be "baked" - cf "Texture Baking"
    For Blender: https://docs.blender.org/manual/es/dev/ ... /bake.html
    Hope this helps !

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to follow the steps but I get really weird results when unwrapping as you can see in the screenshots below. I'm supposed to get squares and isosceles triangles. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm sorry I might need a step by step description.
  • titan44

by titan44 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi.

Apparently, and if I have understood correctly, your basic problem is in finding the right way to make the UV Map of your object.

You can do 2 things:

1. Rotate the camera or object so that in the 3d view you can see exactly the faces where you need to project. You have to be clear that the more exact you are when positioning your object is much better and easier when projecting with Madmapper.

In blender editing mode, you select all faces with A and then press U to generate the UV Map. You must choose the option to project from the view.

2. You must generate a seam precisely by the edges that make up the projection area. To do this, go by selecting the vertices that make up all the edges involved with shift and secondary mouse button.

When you have finished selecting, in the UVs menu (on the left side of your screen) press mark seam.

I think the shortcut is ctrl + e.

Once you have the seams defined, press U to generate the simple UV Map.

And that's it, personally for your model, if you are not familiar with the UV textures, I would choose the first option.

Greetings and success
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:38 pm

For this object using a simple spherical mapping should be fine. There's an option in Blender for that
  • gabriel3374

by gabriel3374 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm

titan44 wrote:2. You must generate a seam precisely by the edges that make up the projection area. To do this, go by selecting the vertices that make up all the edges involved with shift and secondary mouse button.

When you have finished selecting, in the UVs menu (on the left side of your screen) press mark seam.

I think the shortcut is ctrl + e.

Once you have the seams defined, press U to generate the simple UV Map.
    ess

Hey,

thanks for your advice, I tried your second way and got to the following result, which I think is where you wanted me to get:

Now is the question how do I get that projected area into MadMapper. (Sorry if this is all too easy really, I've never experimented with this before). When I export the file as .obj from Blender (which exports not half the object but the whole object) and drag it into MadMapper, this is what I get:Image

Which looks different from before! Seems like a good sign. But I am guessing I was only supposed to get half the object out of Blender so MadMapper doesn't get parts from the object it doesn't need to project on and so it can still calculate the angular distortion of an image projected onto one of the sides.

I feel like I'm getting close. What's next?
  • titan44

by titan44 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 am

Ok.

I have to confess that curiosity overcame me.

And I was very attracted to the fact that the object being of such a basic geometry is giving many problems to make a simple sewing for a UV map.

And I have found the Reason.

I have had to download the object from your first post and I have imported it into blender.

The reason why the seam does not generate the UV map correctly is that your geometry is wrong !!

If you cut the object right in half, this one has a Hexagonal face !! And this face clogs!

Here is a clue to solve the mystery ... Select the vertices that make up the half of the object and press H to hide them. There you will see the problem. Do the steps of point 2. And you will have your task Resolved :)

regards.
    Attachments
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-22 a la(s) 02.46.19.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-22 a la(s) 02.46.19.png (144.42 KiB) Viewed 9200 times
  • gabriel3374

by gabriel3374 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 pm

titan44 wrote:The reason why the seam does not generate the UV map correctly is that your geometry is wrong !!
    If you cut the object right in half, this one has a Hexagonal face !! And this face clogs!
    Here is a clue to solve the mystery ... Select the vertices that make up the half of the object and press H to hide them.

Hey, thanks for your feedback.
    I don't know what you mean by the geometry is wrong. What I want to project is this:
    And what I see is this:
    so a triangle in the middle and 3x rectangle + 3x triangle around it.
    Now when I try what you said and select one-half of the object and then press H, I see this: http://i.imgur.com/KYiyJNC.png
    and when I am unwrapping, this:
    when doing smart UV unwrap or
    when pressing U and just unwrap.

How will I be able to put this into MadMapper and project the different surfaces?

PS: No idea why there are those orange shaded lines now
  • titan44

by titan44 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:25 pm

the green lines are sharps, you can delete this lines with ctrl+e and clear sharps"
    the orange ones are vertex selection
    Attachments
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.23.37.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.23.37.png (111.68 KiB) Viewed 9170 times
  • titan44

by titan44 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 pm

select this triangle and press H

this hide the triangular face and show the problem with your geometry
    Attachments
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.28.22.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.28.22.png (131.23 KiB) Viewed 9170 times
  • titan44

by titan44 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 pm

this hexagonal face is your problem. Delete it ;)
    Attachments
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.31.13.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.31.13.png (47.87 KiB) Viewed 9170 times
  • titan44

by titan44 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:38 pm

then press alt-h (option-h) to unhide the triangular face which complete the model

now, select the half of your model an mark the seam
    Attachments
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.35.07.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.35.07.png (169.36 KiB) Viewed 9170 times
  • titan44

by titan44 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:46 pm

now, press A to select all the faces an then U, simple unwrap...

now you get your UVmap correctly. Then All you need its to rotate, scale, or move the UVs until get the position you need to work.

That's why I recommended that if you do not have experience with UV texture mapping, the first option is easier. Just be careful on how to rotate your object or the 3d camera view to get the best possible result.

But do not forget to erase the hexagonal face ... it is making you struggle in something simple.

Greetings and success.
    Attachments
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.43.34.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-06-23 a la(s) 08.43.34.png (146.15 KiB) Viewed 9170 times
  • gabriel3374

by gabriel3374 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks for your reply,

I followed your steps and now have the same result as you. Now the last question is, how do I get the UV Map into MadMapper to then map images onto the surfaces?
    Attachments
    Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 21.59.37.gif
    Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 21.59.37.gif (165.84 KiB) Viewed 9131 times
  • titan44

by titan44 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:11 am

Hi.

Export your 3d object with blender. This object now contains the UVMap as your needs.

wavefront format: File/Wavefront(.obj)

And this is all, the Real work begins here. Import on Madmapper, calibrate the 3d object.

Now the UVmap of the 3d object will respond as you prefer.

You can import a Movie o an image.

look this:
    https://vimeo.com/206555850