Saving Projects as a sequence
  • paulus

Saving Projects as a sequence

by paulus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm

Total beginner. Downloaded today and watched every tutorial I can.

I'm trying to figure out how to save three separate projects and then recall them in sequence, as per animations/videos on a timeline.

So I start with Project 1 projection for 3 minutes, can auto or manually select Project 2 at a given point in time and finish with Project 3.

Can Mad Mapper do this? Or have I bought the wrong software for what I need to do?

Thanks

Paulus
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Saving Projects as a sequence

by franz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:40 am

all 3 projects must be "contained" within one file.
    you can use presets to switch between different scenes.
    there's no timeline - as of today - yet
  • paulus

by paulus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:35 am

Hi Franz, that's great.

Is there an end to end tutorial on Presets? I have taken a look at some video tutorials online, but they show the presets in use, not the setup of presets.

I have also tried for a number of hours to get to the bottom of presets myself, but I have found it impossible to get my head around them.

I can create presets using the [+] in the corresponding tab/icon, but I can't actually add anything to them. When I do (in surfaces) and click back to the preset, nothing appears. When I click back to the surfaces, they've gone from there, too.

What I'm trying to do:

Theatre production.
    Using two projectors (not overlapping or side by side), which I've managed to set up in MM quite easily. I have all video and images ready to go.

Scene 1:
    Projector 1 - show image of a wall. Projector 2 - show image of a street.
    Maintain for two minutes or until manually cued to end/progress.

Scene 2:
    Projector 1 - show video of a people walking. Projector 2 - show image of shop window.
    Maintain for one minute or until manually cued to end/progress.

...etc, etc for remainder of show.

I assumed I could use Mad Mapper for this purpose and simply select preset 'Scene 1' and then select preset 'Scene 2' at the appropriate time and things would just work.

Any help gratefully received.

My production starts in 10 days.
  • paulus

by paulus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:52 pm

OK, so I've been playing - just in case anyone's wondering, I managed to fix my problem - in a way.

I wanted to create content to put into scenes so that during that scene in the play, I could output the visual that was required.

I used groups....see screenshot below.

Basically, I created groups and named them in Acts and in subsets of scenes and layered the quad content in those scenes.

I set everything to 0% opacity, so that I could bring them up quickly or slowly in my own time and it means that if I have used an effect, I can click the lock to prevent me accidentally using it again. I can do the same with scenes, when I'm done with a scene, or even lock down the first ACT during the interval. If I need to use the same effect in a separate scene or act, I can either drag in a new instance or simps reuse from another scene - making sure I unlock it, too.

I read another thread that said that all the quads had to be reset, as actors moved things around. My solution is to ensure that the actor replaces the object to be projected on back in its original position (mark the floor if need be) rather than the MadMapper tech having to reset the software. If there's any doubt and marking the floor is impractical or undesired, then run the projection and get the actor to replace the object as required to fit the visual.

This looks OK for me, so far. I'll see how things go in rehearsal.

Screen.png
    Screen.png (128 KiB) Viewed 3956 times