Mac Advice Needed
  • harboroughmatt

Mac Advice Needed

by harboroughmatt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:11 pm

I am setting up between 2 and 5 projectors and plan to use madmapper. I now need to buy a computer to power all of this. I want to buy a MacBook Pro laptop so that I can move the computer from desk to the cameras. Does anyone know if a fully powered off the shelf MacBook pro will be powerful enough. The animation artist that we will be using has said we need a mac pro (desk top). I have no issue with the cost, I just want something more flexible. Thanks
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Mac Advice Needed

by mad-matt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:27 pm

If you need 5 projectors, it might be complicated with a single laptop. You would need a Matrox triple head and a dual head. Drivers of those things are sometimes a headache. Also if you want full HD outputs, doing 5 fullHD on a MacBook is maybe overkill. On my mid-2013 I did tests with 2 zotacs (MiniDP->2 HDMI, out of order...) and could have 4x1920x1080 outputs and run 8 full HD movies on all of them. But I don't know if I would do it in a critical environment...

So for this setup I would use a Mac Pro with 6 active MiniDP-HDMI adapters. I use the Startech ones and had no issue with it: https://www.amazon.fr/StarTech-com-Adap ... ni+dp+hdmi
  • harboroughmatt

Re: Mac Advice Needed

by harboroughmatt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks