Spout input not smooth
  • Regeller

Spout input not smooth

by Regeller » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Hello,
    I am trying out how to get my visuals made in Magic could be projected most perfectly with multilple projectors to different surfaces. So I came across MadMapper. This seems to solve all of my problems. But there is one major drawback: The visuals are not running smoothly anymore. Output of Magic to Spout is really smooth. But when I run it through MadMapper it is not any more. I understand that a problem could be a not constant framerate provided by Magic. I already asked there if they have an idea to solve this. There is a switch for vertical sync which as far as I understand should sync the output to the displays attached. But since the output is Spout I am afraid that Magic can not see any valid framerate to sync with.

Can anybody help?
    Thanks
    Reinhard
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Spout input not smooth

by mad-matt » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:43 am

Hi !
    We have not had this report until now. Ideally their spout output should be synched on the frequency of the projectors MadMapper sends video to. To make things simple, it's recommanded to have all screens on the same frequency, even if MadMapper handles that the screen frequency where the UI is can be lower than the output ones (it will then skip renderings on the preview windows).
    I suppose all your screens are at 60 Hz ? Then Magic should ideally run at 60 FPS. If it runs at unlimited FPS, it will consume all GPU resources and will not let enough for MadMapper to render on the outputs.
    If you use a material in MadMapper instead of the spout input, everything's ok ?
    Matt
  • ProjectileObjects
    activ8 member

by ProjectileObjects » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:30 am

Someone else I've been troubleshooting with encountered this issue coming out of processing with their fps capped at 60. It's weird and he had to use Resolume Arena to get around the problem.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Weird. What was the graphics card ? Maybe the graphic drivers don't support NV_DX_interop extension for texture sharing...
    Have you tried changing the spout texture sharing mode using SpoutDXmode application (available with spout 2 SDK) ?