Hi Res Audio stuttering with Hap, PC only
  • DreamBait

Hi Res Audio stuttering with Hap, PC only

by DreamBait » Tue May 29, 2018 10:26 am

I built a session on my mac pro tower that plays flawlessly on the mac side, but the show computer will be a PC. The session plays back two files, one a HAP pixel map at 2160x567 with audio, which plays just fine on both machines, and the other a HAP Q file at 7680x2160, which plays fine on the Mac, but stutters like crazy both video and audio on playback in Madmapper on the PC. It plays back as expected in touchdesigner on the PC, suggesting that the issue isn't the file, windows or the encoding, but something with how its being read in Madmapper. Any suggestions?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Hi Res Audio stuttering with Hap, PC only

by mad-matt » Thu May 31, 2018 9:49 am

Yes, the issue if that MadMapper doesn't decode HAP on the GPU on Windows at the moment. You should use h264 and the "Use hardware acceleration" option on the movie to get a 7680x2160 movie play correctly. If decoding a single video frame is longer than the audio device buffer duration, you will have audio glitches. Using HAP on Windows for high resolution isn't recommended.
  • DreamBait

by DreamBait » Thu May 31, 2018 5:16 pm

h264 is limited to 4k resolution, so its not an option to play back a file at 7680x2160. So I guess there isn't a GPU accelerated way to play high res video in madmapper on windows, and I need to switch to one of your competitors software to achieve the result I need?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm

No, with FFMPEG I can export h264 at much higher resolution (I did a 10000x5000). You can play 8k with audio on a decent PC. However when the 8k is high quality I get small audio glitches that I can fix by increasing audio output buffer size. We'll add a preference to set that soon. Actually I send you a special build with this hidden setting.