Exp.setup - Heavy GPU load when using more than 2 outputs?
  • MatteLe

Exp.setup - Heavy GPU load when using more than 2 outputs?

by MatteLe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Good morning,
    I try to max out the last classic MacPro for my Modul8/Madmapper setup, so I flashed an AMD Radeon HD 7970 (standard output layout) with the proper rom - bootscreen, using 4 outputs, everything works fine. But when I use more than 2 outputs on the card with MM or M8 performance drops from 25%Gpu/60fps to nearly 100%Gpu/15fps or something (memory nearly empty in both cases). If I use a triplehead to get more than 1 projector everything is fine. Seems the card is moving content to another output framebuffer on a very slow way or something like this..
    Of cause this is not a problem of MM or M8, but maybe anyone has an hint/solution/experience for this? Or maybe there are some recommendations for a powerful gpu? Anyone some experience using newer Nvidia cards with webdrivers?
    So thanks in advance for some hints or discussion,
    Matze
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Exp.setup - Heavy GPU load when using more than 2 outputs?

by mad-matt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:09 am

OpenGL is a blackbox, depending on system, drivers etc. it's hard to predict where things are happening.
    You might try to set the main display on the external GPU and start MadMapper on this screen to be sure that OpenGL initialization is done on the external GPU and things are not rendered with internal GPU and just engine frames transferred to the eGPU.
    Let us know.