Control Madmapper via UDP
  • 235media

Control Madmapper via UDP

by 235media » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:48 am

Hi there,

i would like to know if it is somehow possible to control Cues in Madmapper via UDP commands from a Brightsign Media Player.

I would like to trigger some Cues with a Brightsign connected to a Toucscreen.

Thanks in advance
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Control Madmapper via UDP

by mad-matt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:46 am

You can send OSC packets via UDP to control any parameter of MadMapper, including Cues. You can even request using OSC Query (HTTP server) the list of adresses available in MadMapper (& information like current value, value type & range etc): https://github.com/Vidvox/OSCQueryProposal
  • bLackburst

by bLackburst » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 am

Hi Matt
    I'm interested in this too. Tbh i've not got a handle on exactly how to structure an OSC packet out of a plain udp string command(which Brightsign players, watchout, e2 etc will send). For instance, I'm assuming just sending a UDP string of the OSC address is not going to work, for example "medias/LineRepeat/assign\r\n". How might one go about triggering MM from hardware/software that only has udp string support rather than OSC?
    Would it be a case of MM having to listen to plain UDP strings, or is there a way to manually construct an OSC packet with a string? Am I just thorougly confused?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:25 am

OSC is great and solves many issues. We won't redifine an UDP protocol to send a value (with different possibles types) on an address, since that's exactly what OSC stands for.
    Check the spec here to know how to format the UDP packet: http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0
  • bLackburst

by bLackburst » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:57 am

Thanks, I've seen the spec but that doesn't make it any more convenient.

Millumin and Qlab for instance have implemented this "UDP strings as OSC commands" because there is the need in the production world where nothing much supports OSC. Things like Barco EventMaster, Christie Spyder, Dataton Watchout, BrightSign etc to name a few are unlikely to ever support it.
    So yeah, I'm sure there could be ways to kludge together strings in unreadable forms to create OSC messages, but I'm seconding the opinion that UDP control would be very appealing.
  • bLackburst

by bLackburst » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:03 pm

I've just spent a couple more hours on this and it's a clearly ambiguous format to get right consistently.

I've learnt that the udp string "/medias/Clouds/assign\00\001" sent from one source triggers the "Clouds"media, but the same udp string sent from other sources("packetSender" for example) doesn't, EM too. Perhaps there are header differences etc I don't know. I do understand that null chars are application and OS dependent but this is beginning to be a rather cryptic, frustrating thing. Perhaps GarageCube could provide an example UDP string or two that works with MM so we can integrate it in the ways we need. Like the way lighting console fixture profiles for MM are valued, I suggest that other integration techniques into video systems are validated and published.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Did you try to use Wireshark and compare the UDP packets sent to MM ? You can set a filter on the port number.
  • BenLTBL

by BenLTBL » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:42 pm

Hello @bLackburst.
    Did you find anything more regarding controling miniMad or MM using UDP strings?
    I am having a similar goal where I want to control a miniMad artnet player using a brightsign player to get interactive synchronised multi video / light sequences.
    Before I dive into wireshark and OSC protocol I prefer to ask if you had any insights.
    Thanks,
    Ben
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:32 pm

You should really use OSC. The implementation in MadMapper is complete. The protocol is very simple. There are libraries for all languages. You can even use OSCQuery to request from MadMapper the list of available adresses, ie type http://127.0.0.1:8010/ in your browser (if you haven't changed the OSC port - default is 8010 - we use the same port number for the TCPIP connection of OSCQuery HTTP server - OSC is using UDP port)
  • 235media

by 235media » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:23 pm

yes, we managed to work with OSC! It is working fine!
    Is it somehow possible to get a feedback from madmapper when a media file is ended? It would be usefull for interactive installations we are doing ins museums
  • massta

by massta » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:56 pm

yes, we managed to work with OSC! .....
    Could someone share what this looks like? How are you sending OSC via UDP? About to jump into this rabbit hole. Thanks!