best codec for playing large video files >4096 pixel on pc
  • janine

best codec for playing large video files >4096 pixel on pc

by janine » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Hello madmapper fellows,

I am quite new on PC and i am trying to play video files which are larger than 4096 pixel with hardware acceleration.
    Perhaps this is a stupid question, but i could not find an answer at the forum ...

Without hardware acceleration h264 encoded mp4 files are playing.
    If I want to play the same h264 file with hardware acceleration i get a black output.
    I know that h264 has a limit at 4K, but most playback programs can deal with larger files.

A HAP encoded mov file is playing but with poor performance about 1 frame every 5 seconds ...
    Same with a h265 encoded mp4 file.

So my question is: what is the best codec and container for movies which are larger than 4096 pixel with hardware acceleration on a pc.

My system has the following specs:
    Windows 10
    Nvidia card GTX 1060 with 6GB Ram

Perhaps some has a hint for me.
    Thanks in advance !

All the best,
    janine
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: best codec for playing large video files >4096 pixel on pc

by mad-matt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:37 am

We're working on HAP hardware decoding on Windows. If you want to beta test, please PM me. That will for sure be the best option on Windows. You can also use h264 and activate the "Use hardware acceleration" option, it will use DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) so the GPU (graphics card) will decompress the video instead of the CPU.
  • janine

by janine » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Hello mad-matt,

Thank you for the answer !
    HAP is not an option for me, because i have not the time to reencode all my material.
    I am trying now to play my >4096 h264 files without hardware acceleration on a faster machine ;-)
    Just to be complete a h264 with >4096 pixel width does not play with hardware acceleration on win 10 machine. (output is black)
    Works fine with smaller files. There seems to be a limit with the DXVA component ...

Looking forward to the next version. Then i will encode everything with HAP.

All the best,
    janine
  • bLackburst

by bLackburst » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:47 am

Hi
    I've only just learned that MM on windows doesn't support GPU decoding for HAP. Given that it's kind of the purpose of this codec, I'm puzzled. Is there an ETA on full hap gpu support?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi,
    We're about to release MadMapper 3.6 with HAP HW decoding on Windows. I PM you a beta version. It look quite stable yet.
    Cheers
    Matthieu - MM team
  • phoenix

by phoenix » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:19 am

Is Hap the best to use (not using MM at moment). File sizes are HUGE, even for 30 second clips.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Hap files are huge but using a SSD disk you have no bandwidth issue. If not using HAP, H264 is the best. Hardware Acceleration on Windows really depends on the drivers and the movie encoding.
    caneron
    activ8 member

by caneron » Tue May 28, 2019 9:39 pm

I am creating a big old MadMapper server, and having used MM for years I needed to switch to a PC to support the number of outputs needed. Apple Pro Res 422 will work but with an HUGE resolution (4x4k, it definitely struggles (even with software acceleration). I basically get every other frame. HAP on the other hand, once encoded works flawlessly 3.7. I am doing a lot of layers. Once it's all built, I'll let y'all know how it works out.
    creative technology producer, designer
    🫠 https://www.vacationland.club
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu May 30, 2019 11:11 am

HAP is definitely the one. Set the number of chunks to 12 (if your exporter supports it).
    caneron
    activ8 member

by caneron » Fri May 31, 2019 4:33 pm

Yeah HAP is the one. Computer has 2x P4000 (SLI'd) and 1x 1080 (for control monitor and non-matching displays). Mosaic is tight but the limitation on monitor types isn't ideal (don't want to have to use img processors). My FPS readout is floating between 29-30 (target is 30). Before I SLI'd, it was running 24-28. Running approx 14k of source vids simultaneous with hundreds of map layers. I am seeing a little bit of a drag on transitions. I have a FPS visualizer in my rendered content so I can see if it's dragging regardless of the FPS readout that MadMapper provides via the command line controller. I have an 8-Core machine so have set chunks to 6 - to save 2 cores for system processes. Not sure if that's the best practice or not. Those same files work on a 6-core (Mac) as well.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:54 am

Computer has 2x P4000 (SLI'd) and 1x 1080
    Note that MadMapper engine will run on the GPU where the "Main Display" is set in Windows Display settings. Set it to the P4000 !
    I have an 8-Core machine so have set chunks to 6 - to save 2 cores for system processes. Not sure if that's the best practice or not. Those same files work on a 6-core (Mac) as well.
    If you have a 8 Core with hyperthreading, you can run 16 (light) processes in parallel. On a good machine, I think setting chunks to 12 is a good practice. Anyway, the idea is to use as many cores as possible for a very short time (use it each 1/30 second for 2ms for instance), then processor units will be available again for other tasks.
    caneron
    activ8 member

by caneron » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:42 am

Super helpful. Do I need to re-encode from the original intermediaries or can I re-encode the 6-chunk into a 12-chunk?

Also, quick note that I have tried my main display (for MM processing) via my P4000 as well as the 1080 and don't see much of a difference. I'll check now that I've SLI'd and post the results.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:51 am

Super helpful. Do I need to re-encode from the original intermediaries or can I re-encode the 6-chunk into a 12-chunk?
    It depends on your encoder. I would use the original file to be sure there is no color convertion implied and that quality wouldn't be degraded.
    Also, quick note that I have tried my main display (for MM processing) via my P4000 as well as the 1080 and don't see much of a difference. I'll check now that I've SLI'd and post the results.
    If you haven't SLI'd that's normal, benchmarks show no much difference between both: https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce ... adro-P4000
    caneron
    activ8 member

by caneron » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:45 am

Missed this - absolutely correct there's no difference if you SLI, except that second card's output don't work :!: