Unable to edit UV for 3d shape
  • odiford

Unable to edit UV for 3d shape

by odiford » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm testing using MadMapper (3.6.1) for outputting to a three-dimensional object made from LED strips, rather than projection mapping. Although MM has Fixtures for this purpose, actually working with them is quite difficult.

I have imported an OBJ file and can see a nice preview in the output window. However, I am experiencing some weird results when I import the files.
    • On the output screen, the object shows up as it should, but on the input side all the UV pieces are randomly clumped and one piece's alignment and shape is corrupted (see Screenshot 1 and 2).
    • I have tested exporting the OBJ from Rhino in every conceivable format, as separate pieces, as joined pieces, as polysurfaces, as meshes, with object rebuilt and face normals unified, and so on. Nothing fixes the problem. How can I prevent this?
    • Is there a recommended workflow for getting MadMapper to show the UV surfaces separate, so you don't have to manually pull them apart and figure out which one corresponds to which surface?
    • Also, once I have the UV pieces separated, I need to rotate them to match how my 3D object looks. The Edit UVs command allows moving and point dragging, but NOT rotating. Ideally MM would have this option on import, but if not I can do it manually - if there was a rotate tool.
    • Also selecting one point vs one face is buggy. See Screenshot 3. How can they be aligned to match the object?
      • If it turns out there is no way for MadMapper to distribute the UV in order, and I have to manually do it, is there a way to label each piece? I can't import them separately because MadMapper has no way to rotate all of them together, even if they are grouped, AFAIK.

• Is there any way to preview the LED fixture output, NOT the (unused) projector output? I.e. show what the thing will actually look like. It seems the only way to do this is to manually create and size and rotate fixtures on top of the manually rotated and repositioned UV faces.
    Sorry for how long winded this is. I’ve searched through tutorials and forums for days and days and can’t find anything useful. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Attachments
    3 - selecting points is painful.png
    3 - selecting points is painful.png (48.72 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
    2 - random order and one piece wrong axis.png
    2 - random order and one piece wrong axis.png (117.56 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
    1 - UV clumped on import.png
    1 - UV clumped on import.png (71.93 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Unable to edit UV for 3d shape

by franz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:16 pm

I think the problem comes from the way you generate UV coordinates in Rhino, not in MadMApper,
    as MM doesn't do anything special with UVs, they're just loaded, as-is.
    Did you try opening your file in 3dsmax or C4D or Maya, and double check your UVs were ok ?
    To me, it looks like your faces have normalized UVs, UVs are not un-wrapped...
    Did you use the unwrap modifier properly ?